Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars

This afternoon I was scrolling through Connor's Cooking looking for something sweet to make.  I was in luck because I found bars with two of my favorite things:  peanut butter and chocolate! I have a similar recipe, Chocolate Peanut Buddy Bars, and decided that I would make these and compare the two.

I had to make just a couple of adjustments.  All I had in the pantry was chunky peanut butter, so that is what I used.  I also didn't have enough of any one kind of chocolate....so I used a combination of milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chunks!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Bars
adapted from Connor's Cooking

1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz. chopped semi sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 375° F.  Grease a 9 X 12 baking dish.*
Mix together the flour, soda and salt.
Cream the butter, sugars, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.  Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients.  Fold in the chocolate by hand.

Press the dough into the prepared baking dish and bake 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack in the pan.  When cooled completely, cut into bars and serve!

*Connor suggests that you can also line the dish with foil so that the bars can be easily lifted from the pan.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


The bars tasted fine but they weren't as sweet as I had hoped.  They were very crumbly which I would attribute to the amount of butter I used.  Unbelievably, for some reason, my chocolate chips didn't melt!  I have never had that happen...I was using a different brand of chip so maybe that had something to do with it.  Of course, I didn't have one bit of trouble eating two three of the bars, regardless of the fact that the chips didn't melt!

I found Connor's blog because Connor is a member of The Secret Recipe Club and the member who was to have posted a recipe from Connor's blog yesterday, was, at the last minute, unable to participate.  That left Connor an orphan...nobody had visited her, found a recipe, and made a dish to share.  Having some extra time, I volunteered to do some visitin' and cookin'!

If you are interested in joining this group, please visit the website for information on how to participate.

There were a few other bloggers who stepped up to visit Connor's blog.  Take a look at the goodies they found!




Comments

  1. Peanut butter and a mix of chocolates...Perfect! It was fun coming together and cooking from Connor's Cooking. I hope that you'll check out the Nutella Crêpes which I made from her blog.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike. I also made these bars, they were very tasty! I do love chocolate and peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pb and chocolate. I have a hard time resisting bars like this when they are calling my name from the kitchen. These look great non melty chips and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, if they are the ones Raina made from Amanda's Cooking, I've made those, too, and they were a big hit. Your chocolate not melting must be from the different brand, plus I've found that milk chocolate chips don't melt much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! These look so good... I can't wait to make them and try them... Yummy!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is standing behind me asking when I am making these for dinner, lol. The look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost didn't come when I read what they were in my sidebar! I knew I would have to find something sweet and chocolatey to eat. They look wonderful! And you are a good soul to pick up the slack for someone! I knew I liked you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO GLAD WE ALL PARTICIPATED IN THIS POST!!! SO MUCH FUN AND THESE BARS LOOK GOOOOOOD...MELTED CHIPS OR NOT! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man I made these too and I can't stop eating them. I just had them with some vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two of my favorite ingredients, too! I need to try this recipe because it's received rave reviews throughout this round up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think your impromptu changes make these better than they would've been had you followed the recipe precisely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually considered these but then found I didn't have enough peanut butter! I've had that happen with chocolate chips before too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm - these look scrumptious. I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have everything on hand to give these a try and they are now on the must make list. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. A winning combination for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is the best thing I've seen today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just brought home chunky peanut butter yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh girl, I'm so hungry for something sweet right now. This looks so delicious.. thanks for sharing the recipe... hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must have some oddness about me. I am not a huge fan of chocolate or peanut butter. However, I have some little munchers around here that would gobble these down in a day. All kids live PB and chocolate.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great! As someone else mentioned, I've baked these from Amanda's blog and they are definitely a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your peanut butter bars looks awesome. I know they were not as sweet as you hoped for, but it would have rocked my world. Love, love peanut butter.

    If you are interested, in another version Ina Garten has a peanut butter and jelly bar recipe that are really awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought seriously about this recipe but I ended up with the Smores Brownies which was intriguing.

    Your photo has convinced me, it is never too late to make these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for making a recipe from my blog! I loved this also and we never have anything but chunky pb in our cupboard either! :) I figure it adds a little texture to whatever I am making... LOL!

    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Peanut butter and chocolate is about T.H.E. best dessert combination Mr. Rosemary could think of. (Me, too.) Great looking bars.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I almost made these too! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts