Chipotle Honey Glazed Chicken and the Elephant Foot


When I was single, I collected, raised and loved houseplants.  I still love houseplants but I must admit that I no long have over fifty houseplants living with me!  I enjoyed finding unusual plants, learning about them and finding different ways to display them.  I must admit to having made my share of macrame plant hangers!

This elephant foot plant, was not in my collection of houseplants, it was in the Kitchen Gnome's.  He also had a love for all things green and collected unusual plants.  The elephant foot plant was in a two-inch pot when we got married.  It is thirty six years old...isn't it amazing that we have had it so long!  What is most amazing is that it flowered this year!!  I was so excited when I saw the flower forming.

I spied the flower when I went out to the BBQ to see how much longer the chicken would be.  I became totally distracted by the flower!


I did pull myself away from the plant long enough to have dinner.  The Kitchen Gnome gets credit for creating this delicious chicken dish!  You see, he didn't want to waste the glaze that we used on the rib-eyes and he had made a rub earlier that he wanted to use, also.


Chipotle Honey-Glazed Chicken

3 chicken breasts

Rub
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

Mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl.  Rub it on the chicken breasts.

Glaze
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp chipotle puree
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp kosher salt

To make the glaze, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl to combine.  Allow the glaze to rest for at least thirty minutes.

Grill the chicken breasts until golden on both sides.  During the last few minutes of cooking, brush the glaze over the chicken, liberally.  Remove from the grill and brush with additional glaze.

Some of the glaze can be reserved and made available at the table for those who would like extra!


I went out today to take a look and found "some flower", Wow!

The bulbous base of the plant is why the plant is known as the elephant foot plant.  Beaucarnea recurvata is native to the desert of Mexico.  Being native to the dry Mexican climate the plant does well in hot areas and doesn't require a lot of water.

It is also referred to as the Ponytail Palm but it is not a member of the palm family.

I am participating in Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.

Comments

  1. The chicken recipe is different and looks delicious. We have chicken so often in our house that my family does a collective eye roll, so this recipe is a welcome change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! mmmm so yummy!

    You're invited to participate in my party "Step by step on tuesday" you can show your recipe.
    I hope you! since 8/16

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and thanks for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chicken dish looks amazing! I'm not too good with houseplants. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Elephant Foot plant is very unusual looking ..and what a thrill to see it bloom after all those years! I have a few houseplants that my husband gave me as gifts before we were married, almost 37 years ago! One is a schefflera and the other is a banana tree plant. I've had them so long that I'm always worried that if they die I'll go next ...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made some fried chicken tenders and dipped them in the chipotle sauce the other day! Really neat that you've had the plant that long:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an anniversary present the bloom..saying congratulations on 36 years..(we only have 1 more than you)..I have 2 benjies(Ficus Benjamini) that are about 30 yrs old..

    I love house plants too..even though they are messy.
    That glaze sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first came upon your blog I saw the photo of what you called your "Elephant Foot"... then I realized "I have one".. but I know it as a "Pony Tail"... Mine also started as a tiny house plant and now after 8 years it's really big. I planted it out in my back yard and let her go! Now I have something to look forward to, "A Flower".. but in how many years?
    I enjoyed your post.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both the rub and glaze on your chicken dish!
    Now that I live in an apartment, it's all house plants. Mainly orchids as I love them and they do so well here inside. Some herbs in the kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unusual plant and your yard sure is sure well manicured. After a couple of recent uses, I've decided I really like honey and chipotle sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting plant. 36 years would be longer than I have had most things. Good for you. Yummy chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen those before but never that big...wonderful! We have lots of houseplants too...some are as old as our marriage of 32 years...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my yumness!!!! That looks delicious! So do the lemon coconut sugar cookies further down! Thanks for stopping by, too! You have a delicious blog!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts