Chicken Piccata - The Secret Recipe Club


This is the second month that I have participated in The Secret Recipe Club.  What can be more fun than taking time to visit a another blog, select a recipe to prepare and then post about it!  The twist is that it is a secret.  Early in the month, each participant is assigned a blog from those wishing to play along.  On the designated day everybody posts and reveals their "secret blogging friend" and the dish prepared!

Last month Ewa at Delishh prepared a recipe from my blog and ironically, I was assigned Ewa's blog this month!  As I perused her blog I found so many recipes that I wanted to make.  I found a recipe for Swedish Chocolate Balls as well as a familiar but long-lost childhood recipe for No-Bake Cookies!   Ewa is passionate about food and shares quite a variety of international culinary delights...do take time to visit her, you won't be disappointed.

While I intend to make the chocolate goodies I mentioned earlier, today's recipe will be Chicken Piccata. This is one of my favorite dishes.  I have a recipe that I have made for a number of years but I just had to try this one.  You see, it has all of the usual ingredients with the addition of mushrooms!

This is one of those recipes that comes together quickly so you have to be ready.  Do the prep ahead!  I did make some changes to the recipe but nothing that would affect the flavor.  I used Panko bread crumbs instead of the traditional and I added a tablespoon of water to the beaten egg...because that is what I always do!  Ewa suggested serving it with mashed potatoes....I couldn't resist that suggestion!


Chicken Piccata
adapted from Delishhh

Yields:  4 servings

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
Salt Pepper
1 egg, beaten, plus 1 Tbsp water
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
6 Tbsp butter
1 to 2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup brined capers, drained
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
4 slices of lemon, for garnish

Pound the chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper to 1/4" thickness.  Season them with salt and pepper.
Set up three shallow bowls/plates.
Bowl 1:  Mix 4 Tbsp olive oil and soy sauce together. (This is a quick marinade for extra flavor.)
Bowl 2:  Beat the egg and 1 Tbsp water together.
Bowl 3:  Mix the flour and bread crumbs together.

Heat the olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet on medium heat.  Prepare the chicken by dipping it in bowls 1 through 3 and then into the fry pan.  Brown the chicken well on each side, about 3 minutes per side.  Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a warm plate.  Cover with foil to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.

To the same frying pan, add the sliced mushrooms and 2 Tbsp of butter.  Saute the mushrooms for 5 minutes.  Add the wine, lemon juice, and capers to the pan.  Scrape up the browned bits.  Reduce the sauce by half.  Whisk in the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter.

Plate the chicken and spoon sauce over the top.  Add a slice of lemon and parsley for garnish.

Serve with mashed potatoes!  (This was a great recommendation!)

PRINTABLE RECIPE



My daughter took the first bite and marveled at the flavor.  I agree with her, this is a delicious dish.  I know the Kitchen Gnome will be sorry that he went camping and wasn't here to enjoy it with us!  Never fear...it is definitely one that I will make again!

Comments

  1. I have bookmarked this recipe, it is one of my all time favourite dishes. I will be picking mushrooms later on this year so can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken looks so lovely and crisp on the outside and the photograph is lovely. I'm also a big mashed potato fan so would love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chicken piccata looks gorgeous. I've never served it with mashed potatoes. What a delicious idea. Fabulous photos!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures... they make me want to reach for a morsel of that chicken! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This looks fantastic. Your beautiful photos make it all the more inviting. My husband would love this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son's favorite dish is chicken piccata, but I've never thought to serve it with mashed potatoes which is another favorite. If I made both in the same night, he'd be thanking me forever! Love the extra flavor with the mushrooms, how wonderful! I'll definitely have to try that! Thanks, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and delicious sounding dinner! These pictures make me really need a fork and napkin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like an amazing dinner! I have never made chicken piccata. Looking at this, I am thinking I need to make plans to do so this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crave worthy photo. This is one of my favorite chicken dishes as well. I love capers. I've never thought to serve it with mashed potatoes. I'll have to give that recommendation a try sometime since I normally serve it with noodles. The addition of mushrooms sounds amazing as well. A must try recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one good looking meal! I'm going to try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chicken piccata with with mashers! A perfect dish to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I love chicken piccata, gotta make it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favorites and i make it all the time. Very nice dish! And your pictures look so good! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of that dish before, but it looks yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love chicken picatta, but have never tried it with soy sauce. What a great idea for some more flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chicken piccata is one of my favorite dishes. I can't wait to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me, too. I love chicken piccata. This is on my list to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a gorgeous looking meal.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. I have capers in the pantry, there are two yummy looking versions of chicken piccata in Group C this week and my lemon tree is full to bursting! I think I know what I am making soon, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious! I bet the soy sauce adds some great flavor, and the recipe I've always used doesn't include capers and mushrooms. I bet it makes it so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oH my your photo looks mouthwatering. Great job! What a great recipe for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!!!! This is drool-worthy! I am dying to try this recipe. Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love chicken picatta. I did a similar recipe from another SRC blogger awhile back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmm I love capers but don't have them nearly enough. Great post and thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun. This looks delicious. I can see why you chose it to make

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh My.....our church body is fasting this week....this picture looks delicious...but I am strong...

    Hugs..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photo looks absolutely mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Chicken Piccata - this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Recipe looks DELICIOUS!

    I was in Secret Recipe Club: Group B. Here are my two posts I hope you have time to check them out, if you haven't seen them already.

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks like a wonderful meal!Glad to have you in Group C

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful post, Kate. Your photo makes my mouth water even before my first cup of coffee. This recipe is a little different than mine and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great SRC choice! This looks delicious... I love the golden brown color of the fried bread crumb coating!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I ate chicken Picatta the first time several years a go in a little restaurant in Portland. I had never had capers before. I fell in love with the flavors and have made it many times since. Can't wait to try this recipe. Love the mushrooms and the mashed potatoes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh how I love chicken picatta and yours looks simply divine!!! Great SRC selection and nice to meet another SRC member!!! Enjoy the long holiday weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chicken Piccata is my favorite chicken dish - and yours looks fantastic!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am a huge fan of chicken picatta, love all those capers.
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for September :) http://su.pr/1Sizv9

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is one I would love. Love capers, my husband doesn't. I wonder what it will have in it when I make it? Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How fun! I used to belong to this club, but I had to give it up. This looks so good, especially, since my stomach is growling. Such comfort food! Looks like I have some recipes to peruse...after I eat dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts