Linguine with Shrimp Scampi and a Trip to Africa!

Recently, the Kitchen Gnome and I went to his sister's house for dinner.  They had "gone on safari" so to speak and had the trip of a lifetime.  We were really excited because they were going to share their Africa pictures with us!  It was a fantastic evening....it was like watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins.  Did you watch it?  I didn't miss it.  I loved watching the animals. Viewing my SIL and BIL's collection of pictures was just like being there on Sunday evening, sitting cross-legged in front of the TV...only this time, I got the sofa!


Afterwards we had a wonderful dinner.  My SIL had prepared  Linguine with Shrimp Scampi.  It was outstanding with a great lemon flavor behind the succulent shrimp!  I knew that I would be making this dish sometime soon!  She told me that it was a Barefoot Contessa recipe from Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  Easy enough!  I love Ina's recipes.


Linguine with Shrimp Scampi
adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style


Serves 4


Vegetable oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
3/4 pound linguine
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Zest from 1/2 lemon (I used the zest from the entire lemon.)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes



Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily!  Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and return it to the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I served the Linguine with Shrimp Scampi with crusty bread accompanied by Spring Spinach Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette.  It was delightful, quick, and easy and has earned a place on the rotation!


I am sharing today with my friends at Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer...


I hope you try the Linguine with Shrimp Scampi, it is delicious!

Comments

  1. Loved the shrimp and the trip to boot! xoA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice eats my friend, very jealous, you upstaged me big time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    I love Ina Garten's recipes. They are foolproof and just outstanding.

    How wonderful to see the safari photos. That is a trip I had always wanted to take.

    Have a great day!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calling by from Italy via Outdoor Wednesday to visit another participant. I certainly enjoyed my virtual trip, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dish..and how cute is that bird?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also watched ole Marlin every week and his part time sidekick Stan Brock now lives in Knoxville and is on TV occasionally via his association with the Zoo or his charity. I made Ina's dish last summer and loved it. We've since used it or a variation in several dishes. Your shot of it makes me want to g whip up a batch right now - 7am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like they had a fabulous trip! And shared it with you. I'd love to go some time!

    Ina's linguine recipe looks delicious. She's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to make it to Africa someday - your friends are so lucky! The shrimp scampi looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have dearly loved to have been there with you seeing all these adventures. Best of all, enjoying that wonderful food. Thanks for sharing through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to Love Marlin Perkins and his show. It was like armchair traveling. I've made Ina's shrimp recipe and it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just discovered your blog through Outdoor Wednesday, and I'm LOVING your blog! I'm your new follower and would love for you to visit my blogs, too. Have a wonderful Wednesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your collage. These photos could qualify for National Geographic. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love shrimp and the recipe looks so yummy!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shrimp is one of my favorite dinners to eat. The photo you posted makes me lick my chops.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kate,

    Oh my, that looks good! I enjoyed the safari photos too. I did used to watch Wild Kingdom when I was little. I'd forgotten about it.

    Thank you for stopping by to say hello,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this recipe and always keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer so I can make this on a moment's notice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing the photos. That is a pretty little bird. The shrimp scampi looks delicious .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts