Cottontop Cactus


The Cottontop Cactus is found on the slopes in Titus Canyon in Death Valley. 
They can have as many as forty to sixty heads in a cluster!


The name cottontop is in reference to the white tufts of cotton-like hairs that surround the yellow flowers on the top of each head.  


The yellow flowers do not appear until July-August, which makes the Cottontop Cactus the latest blooming cacti in the area.


Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.  Stop by and visit the outdoor excursions being shared!

Comments

  1. Death Valley is so beautiful this time of year. Did U make it to Scotty's Castle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots! I like the name cottontop cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, and such an unusual cactus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW awesome pictures.I wouldn't want to get too close ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and that was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks just slightly different than our area :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. I've never been to Death Valley. You certainly do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photos...I've never seen this type of cactus before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures and interesting info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was in elementary school I rode my bike across the mesa in the morning and saw cacti in bloom and then in the evening I rode my bike home and saw other cacti blooming. Your cottontop cacti sure brings back memories.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the desert in the Spring! Great photos of a wonderful cactus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see them in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to grow mini cactus plants. Just love their flowers - such beauty from that prickly shell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fascinating! I would love to see the yellow blossoms later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the desert in spring!
    Glad I stumbled by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts