Lemon Yogurt Cake Revisited, Again

Recently, I revisited a favorite recipe, Lemon Yogurt Cake.  A friend gave us a bag of lemons from their tree...when given lemons one must make something and cake sounded so much better than lemonade!

I think I have made this cake about six or seven times.  We absolutely love it...for a snack, for breakfast, for dessert...anytime!  The sweet, tangy lemon flavor just bursts forth with every bite...it is soft, moist, and is, well, wonderful!!  I need to share with somebody...the cake and the recipe!

It is a Barefoot Contessa recipe from her cookbook, Barefoot Contessa at Home and is a definite winner!  There is one thing you must never do, though,....do not use purchased lemon juice!!  I did once when I was short lemons...it was NOT the same.  Fresh lemons are a must!



Lemon Yogurt Cake


1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
(I used Greek Yogurt)
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 extra large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the glaze

1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 C. lemon juice and remaining 1/3 C. sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.



You won't regret making this one...especially, if you like lemons!

I am participating in the first Celebrity Cook Along at Happier Than A Pig in Mud.

Comments

  1. Beautiful mouthwatering photos. Yumm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek yogurt is so much healthier and I love that you used natural lemons. I wrote an article about 30 household uses for lemons. hmmm.

    I would be so honored if you would visit my blog and pick up your award. http://www.hardworkinjudy.com/2011/03/stylish-bloggers.html Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipes looks scrumptous!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe for lemon cake. I think this is one of Ina's best recipes. Gorgeouso photos, Kate. Now you've got me hungry for a big slice of this treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks beautiful! I made an orange yogurt cake once, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this cake! Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make the best sounding stuff. I love lemon in anything and love yogurt cake; so the combination would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fresh lemons are a must so that you can throw some zest into the mix too! Nothing like lemon in my books to bring a ray of sunshine to meals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks just delightful. Light, but definitely a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love lemon cake and this recipe is fabulous, but I'm crazy about the cheese and chive bread in the previous post! Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost posted my encore of this very cake, today. I'll post mine next week, as I made a couple of minor tweaks. You are so right, this cake is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. I think I can actually taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my all-time faves and I agree 100% - always use FRESH lemon juice. Nothing else will do!

    Linda @ Lemon Drop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate, your pics have my mouth watering! I love lemon and so wish I lived in an area that I'd be gifted lemons-lucky you! Thanks so much for joining the Celebrity Cook-Along:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks delicious, Kate! Great photos!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful cake and wonderful photos ! I will definitely try the recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore lemon cake but DH isn't so keen which is why I've never tried this recipe.
    However, your beautiful photography has me reaching for my BC at Home cook book right now.
    I may just have to eat it all myself, how good is that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kate, this looks so good to me!! I love most things lemon, and I agree--you need real ones in most recipes. I've seen your blog name around, and now I'm your newest follower so I won't miss anything else! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Lemon Yogurt Cake looks delicious. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, wish I had some right now!! I love anything lemon!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there,
    I just stumbled across your blog. What a great recipe this is! I love all things lemon. This lemon cake looks particularly delicious with that drizzled icing..

    ReplyDelete
  23. My mom made something similar when I was growing up..minus the yogurt. But anytime I see or eat a lemon loaf cake I think of her. Yours looks delicious. Making me hungry before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this recipe too!!! I added the sugared strawberries to mine. Your pictures are beautiful!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts