Beggar's Linguine

Pistachios, almonds, figs, raisins, and orange zest on pasta....sounds intriguing and I was eager to find out just how all those good things could come together and become a savory pasta dish called Beggar's Linguine from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan!   Dorie talks about arriving at a restaurant thirty seconds before closing and begging to be served...she was served Linguine Mendiant.  (Mendiant translates to beggar.) Cute, but not how the dish got its name.  

Dorie explained further....the name usually describes a chocolate bonbon topped with dried fruits and nuts.  The fruits and nuts on the candies were chosen originally to represent the four mendicant monastic orders:  dried figs for the Franciscans, raisins for the Dominicans, hazelnuts for the Augustinians, and almonds for the Carmelites.  Today one can find pistachios or walnuts, dried apricots or lemon zest or whatever the chocolatier selects.


So, this becomes a savory pasta dish by adding browned butter and Parmesan.

For French Friday's with Dorie everybody was preparing Beggar's Linguine. I am game for just about anything but I wasn't certain...I had to cut the recipe back to serve just one on this evening.  


I must admit, I had no trouble enjoying each and every bite....maybe it was the browned butter that sold me, not certain but I am glad that I tried this dish.




Comments

  1. Thanks for giving it a try and letting us know Kathy (I'm trainable) as I don't think I would ever try this dish. Some things just don't work in my set-in-my-ways mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I wouldn't have thought of this combo. Thanks for educating us, Kathy.
    xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still didn't get that book!

    WE eat easy pastas often..this looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting dish! Looks delicious too. Thanks for taking the time to explain all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a pleasant surprise, wasn't it? Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the cookbook in my hands at our local bookstore just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to try this! Thanks for sharing . . . hard to believe a pasta dish with those things could possibly be called beggar's, but, matters not! I want it -- I just never find figs. Would dried work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting story about the candies!
    I'll look up the recipe...got the book last month and am slowly reading and savoring it.
    Brown butter makes everything better...this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos! Totally drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would gladly beg for a bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a very Catholic dish! I had Dominicans, Josephites as well as Franciscans and Augustinians. Therefore, I must try this. Very interesting dish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts