Flank Steak with Spicy Peanut Noodles

Have you ever looked forward to having something for dinner, anticipated it all day, and thought about how tasty it was going to be?  For some reason, I was salivating just thinking of it! That happened to me recently.  I saw a recipe for Flank Steak with Spicy Peanut Noodles and immediately remembered some noodles I had had that were so good...a hint of peanut butter, spicy and plenty of them!  I looked forward to dinner all day long and was happy to step into the kitchen.

The recipe for the flank steak consisted of salt and pepper....I wanted the flank steak to have a flavor that would compliment the noodles so I elected to use our tried and true favorite flank steak marinade that has lemon, soy sauce and wine in it.  You can take a peak at it here.

Sometimes those things that are anticipated are a big disappointment, as this was to me.  I expected a hint of peanut, a touch of sweet coconut and the bite of the spicy Thai curry paste.  Sadly, it was as though I had a teaspoonful of peanut butter with each bite.  The peanut butter was so overpowering that there were no other flavors...not even the spicy Thai curry paste that I thought was going to give this dish a punch.

My youngest had dinner with us...she was less than impressed as was Mr. T.  It is a good thing that the flank steak was perfect!  My oldest daughter pointed out that America's Test Kitchen doesn't usually have recipes that are very spicy as most folks don't like spicy foods.  Well, I wasn't too tickled with a bowl of peanut butter for dinner either!

I will keep searching and just maybe I will find the right recipe!  If you have a recipe that you think might fit the bill, let me know.



Spicy Peanut Noodles
Simple Weeknight Favorites by America's Test Kitchen

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup lime juice (2 limes)
3 Tbsp fish sauce
4 tsp Thai red curry paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp sugar
1 (9 oz) package fresh Chinese noodles
Salt and Pepper
4 scallions, sliced thin on bias

Bring 3 quarts water to boil in large pot.  Meanwhile, process peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, curry paste, garlic and sugar in blender until smooth, about 15 seconds.

Add noodles and 1 Tbsp salt to boiling water and cook until tender.  Drain, run under cold water to cool, and drain again.  Return noodles to pot, add 1/2 cup peanut sauce and scallions, and toss to combine.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I am sharing this week at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage, Friday's Favorites hosted by Sandi at Whistlestop Cafe Cooking, and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.




Comments

  1. The noodles sound very flavorful! Looks like a great dinner:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those noodles..And the flanks looks delish too~
    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwww, I'm sorry that this didn't work for you. I hate it when that happens, and ATK is usually a guaranteed winner for recipes. I can't help you, because I'm still searching for one. Good thing that the flank steak worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dinner...I am loving that ear of corn!! Yumo!
    Can't beat a fresh ear of yellow corn...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww too bad about the noodles, but the picture sure looks good! I usually love ATK's recipes. I hope you find a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad the sauce didn't work. It looks like you needed to add more of the red curry paste. I always add more of it when I am making red curry chicken stir fry. Your plate looks beautiful Kate. I would be happy to have joined you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate,
    What an awesome plate of food, I just love those noodles and will have to try your recipe. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you were disappointed, Kate. Peanut butter can be overpowering and its hard to know until you try the recipe. Your flank steak looks perfectly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh peanut noodles --- yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks awesome! Hopping over from Miz Helens today - I love Thai-inspired dishes.... - sorry to hear they didnt come out quite as desired, but ... it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looked so good and sounded so good until I read your taste comments. How disappointing for you. I know I would have been disappointed after the anticipation. Hope you find the recipe that makes your heart sing. I can't wait. I think you will be able to come up with a new recipe all on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. peanut butter and coconut milk. together. that seems wrong, but at the same time, oh-so-right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts