Tomato, Olive, and Basil Skewers

Summertime yields beautiful fresh tomatoes and lush basil plants.  The combination of those two ingredients, the addition of kalamata olives and a light dressing creates an easy appetizer skewer with a Mediterranean flair!  Grape tomatoes are so sweet that they are the perfect choice for this light and easy appetizer.  


Tomato, Olive, and Basil Skewers
The America's Test Kitchen Menu Cookbook

1/2 tsp grated orange zest plus 2 Tbsp juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest plus 1 Tbsp guice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp fennel seeds, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup pitted kalamata olives
1 cup fresh basil leaves

whisk orange zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, garlic, mustard, honey fennel seeds, slat and pepper together in a large bowl.  Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil.  Gently stir in tomatoes and olives.  Skewer tomatoes, olives and basil leaves in following order from top to bottom:  tomato half, olive, basil leaf (folded if large), and tomato half with flat side facing down.

Stand skewers upright on serving platter.  Reserve remaining dressing leftover in bowl.  Skewers can be held at room temperature for up to 4 hours.)  Just before serving, whisk reserved dressing to re-emulsify, then drizzle over skewers, and serve. (Makes 40 skewers.)

PRINTABLE RECIPE


There was no way that I could get these little puppies to stand up!  I think  it was because of the type of skewer  that I had.  These were the only short skewer that I could find.  My thought was that because of the little "handle" at the end, they became top heavy.  These were very tasty and so easy that I would definitely repeat the recipe.

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Kitchen and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm, Foodie Friday at Simple Living hosted by Diane, Foodie Friday at Not your Normal Recipes and On the Menu Monday hosted by Yvonne at Stone Gable.

Comments

  1. That's a great idea:) and I have those toothpicks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look gorgeous and delicious - I love the bold colors and flavor combinations. Hopping over from Foodie Friday. :)

    I'm Erin (formerly of EKat's Kitchen, and now of the newly launched SalmonAtSeven.com - hope you'll swing by, say hi, and enter my launch giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my kind of appy! They look very pretty too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound delicious and I really like the presentation the skewers deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great hors d'oeuvres!! Yum! Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I love these, I will be making them for sure when we go to the beach in a few weeks. Where did you find those fun skewers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great.
    I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in an attempt at meatballs. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts