Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Mango Chutney

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Mango Chutney....doesn't that sound wonderful?  When I spotted this recipe in the December 2010 issue of Fine Cooking, I fell in love.  Sweet potatoes are a favorite at our house.  They are certainly not a potato that should be reserved for just Thanksgiving or Christmas. They have a wonderful flavor and are very versatile.


I was especially looking forward to preparing this dish...smooth, sweet potatoes combined with mango chutney...to be sure...a nice combination....on paper, that is!  I was totally disappointed in this recipe.  It just didn't seem to have much flavor.  What I expected would make my taste buds stand up and take notice was...well, blah.  I double checked to see if I had omitted something...nope.  What to do?

Well, I couldn't give up.  The next evening I added a little butter...more salt...that usually helps....I added a bit of cream...   This dish was going nowhere.

So, I share the recipe hoping that somebody will make it and tell me that for them, it was perfect.  Maybe somebody will springboard from this recipe and save it....if you do, please share.  I keep thinking it has just got to be good, but as written, this was not a fave at our house.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Mango Chutney

2 lb. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks 
Kosher salt 
1/3 cup jarred Major Grey’s mango chutney 
1/2 cup heavy cream 
2 small scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts separated) 
1 Tbs. finely chopped crystallized ginger 
Freshly ground black pepper 


Put the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Add cool water to barely cover and a large pinch of salt. Boil over high heat until the potatoes are very soft when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the saucepan. Set the pan over high heat and dry the potatoes, stirring often, until any liquid has evaporated, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.

If the chutney contains any large chunks, finely chop them. In a small saucepan, bring the cream, chutney, scallion whites, ginger, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat.

Force the sweet potatoes through a ricer or a food mill and into a serving bowl (or mash for a chunkier texture). Stir in the warm cream mixture and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the scallion greens and serve immediately.


PRINTABLE RECIPE




Let me know if you have tried this recipe or if you made modifications that worked!


I am participating in Full Plate Thursday hosted by Mix Helen's Country Cottage, Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum and Fat Camp Friday hosted by Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney.

Comments

  1. It looks yummy though. Sometimes, there's just something that is just not there, like I just did with Ina's chicken. Try adding about 2 teaspoons (or more) of garam masala powder to the cream mixture during cooking. What I know is, garam masala powder seems to work well with chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't care for it, I think we've all been there once or twice. I like sweet potatoes too, don't eat them nearly often enough. Have a great July 4th Weekend Kate:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh they sound good:) Hmm..I wonder what the problem is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love sweet potatoes in our house...I think I bake them several times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that these were not heavenly. Sounds like all the right ingredients....Let us know if you can fix it. If I get a chance I will try. Bummer.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well they look wonderful! How about a couple of extra tablespoons of butter!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the addition of the chutney to your mashed sweet potatoes. I make mashed sweet potatoes often and can't wait to try this. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks divine! Love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought when I first read the title to the recipe that (to me anyhow) it was an unusual combination of ingredients. You can always console yourself that at least they were pretty.

    Don't feel like the lone ranger. It happens in our kitchen too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just reading the recipe I think it sounds delicious, especially with that little bit of crystallized ginger. But I'm a big sweet potato fan so it doesn't take much to make me happy. Thanks for the critique, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. I can't imagine why it didn't have good flavor. All the ingredients sound marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts