Have I Ever Mentioned How Much I Hate Snakes?

I hate snakes.  All kinds.  They were in my nightmares as a child.  I am scared to death of them....any kind.  I get cold chills just thinking about them.  That said you can imagine how excited I was when the Kitchen Gnome told me that he had something for me in the container in the yard.  He said it would make a good post for Wednesday.


Gee, the container even had a "Bonus Inside"!  I noticed that the lid was kind of taped on...clue number one.  I also noticed the noise coming from inside...clue number two.  Note to self:  Go the opposite direction from this surprise.

The Kitchen Gnome asked if I wanted to go with him on the quad to take the snake out in the foothills to release it.
"How big is this snake anyway?" I ask.
"Oh, about 3 1/2 feet long," he responds..."but he has just eaten."
"So..."
The answer is: "Not if I have to hold the container."  He secured the container on the quad and off we went.


I stood a good distance away when the container was opened.  We weren't certain if the snake would quickly leave the container or hang around.  The guy was a bit angry so I figured he was going to stay in the area to express himself.


He coiled up, tested the air, and sent his message....stay away.

The snake's tongue provides sensory information to the brain through the Jacobson's organ on the roof of its mouth.  In this case, odor.

Pit vipers also have a two chambered pit organ located between the eye and the nostril on each side of the head.  Since warm-blooded creatures give off thermal radiation even when motionless, the snake's brain is able to identify this heat by comparing the temperature in the outer and inner chambers.  The snake distinguishes between the input received from the right and left pit organs in relation to itself enabling the snake to strike with accuracy during the day or at night.


I was directed to come around to the other side so that I could get a good picture.  Why would I want to face a snake that is coiled and warning of a strike?  When a rattlesnake strikes, it covers a distance of about 2/3 the length of its body.  I can be brave.


I hoped that the picture would be in focus because I wasn't going to linger in the area!  I am amazed at how well camouflaged the snake is.  I will not be walking the dog in the grassy foothills.

I am participating in Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer hosted by Susan.

Comments

  1. Oh now, that's just disturbing to this Philly girl:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my GOODNESS! I hate snakes--even just seeing them in pictures. You certainly are brave ;) lol Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I better go get my blanket and put my thumb in my mouth. I might scream if I don't. Eek! A snake.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH!! That is a GREAT picture...but I'm with you. I hate them. BUT WHAT A GREAT PICTURE!!
    I might have killed the snake.
    Did I tell you that was a great picture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...I hope you weren't too close in those photos...eck...all the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up! Great photos though:0/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with this guys relatives in my back yard, but they are still pretty scary. You did get some incredible pictures! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible photos for one who hates snakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the opposite... love snakes... love watching them move. You were very brave to release one though... and what fabulous photos! I was looking at some garter snakes last weekend. Interesting info about the sensory structures in the snake... never knew that. Great, interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is NO WAY I would be anywhere near that container, much less that snake!!!!! I am terrified of most snakes...all except the black racer who lives in my yard. He's a good guy who keeps other BAD guys away. (We have rattles, moccasins, coral snakes...to name a few.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I can't believe those pics and I can't believe that snake. You are definitely one brave woman! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, scary. I feel the same way about spiders. Even a picture of one gets my heart pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the hebby-jebbies now. I should have known not to click the link based on the name you gave it, but I couldn't help but look thinking maybe it was just a small garter snake. Nope, these are the kind that scare me to. Beautiful pictures though!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! There is no way you would have ever caught me that close to the snake! I hope you were using a zoom lens! Awesome shots though.

    Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am terrified of snakes, but love to watch them especially in documentary shows on snakes, they are really fascinating creatures! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, I hate snakes too. Just looking at your pictures makes my skin crawl. You were very brave. My pictures would definitely been a blur from running.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't hate snakes, just the vipers. That last shot made my skin crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh My ! You are braver than I am - I would have left the area immediately !!! I know there are good snakes, but I am not going to stay around long enough to find out which ones are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are NOT frightened of snakes if you can post this! My mother had a true phobia....and I have a friend who has a panic attack if she even sees a fake snake. I was there...someone in Savannah had one near a pool in the garden and we were on a garden tour. It took nearly 5 hours for her to come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUCK! I've never been that close to a snake and don't ever care to be.

    During my blog break, I visited a friend in Fond du Lac. She served a delicious pasta topped with baked pesto, tomatoes and goat cheese. She was fairly certain she found it on your blog (she found you through me as she's not a blogger). I don't recall it from your blog and have searched a bit but can't find the recipe. I'll post about it soon and, if you recognize it, let me know as I'd love to give you a link back.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eeeekkk! Snakes are so NOT my favorite thing...guys are so funny that way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yuck, yuck and double yuck... I so hate snakes, you did get some incredible shots,, I would have shook so bad.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are a lot braver than I am. I held a tarantula for the blog, but be in proximity to a rattle snake? No thanks. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts