Kestrels - The Smallest American Falcon


My daughter called very excited to tell me that there were about five kestrels putting on a show in her backyard!  I wasn't able to dash over at that time for their antics but they are hanging around the area.  They must be nesting in a nearby tree and food is plentiful as there are fields to the back of her property.

I finally was able to go by and take a few pictures.  They were in the distance and around the perimeter of the field.  They are such beautiful little guys.  It was difficult to catch them but I have a few shots to share.


The neighbors didn't seem to notice that they were on their fence and hanging out under the patio!


There are not as crisp as I would have liked but you can see their beautiful colors.


I am hoping to get back over when they are once again in her backyard and not just on the perimeter of the field.

I am sending this over to Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday!

Comments

  1. Your shots are excellent Kate, I don't think I've ever seen kestrels (to my knowledge). A couple of years ago we had a pair of falcons living across from our house in downtown Toronto which is something you just never see, but I was never able to get a good pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, Kate. You got some excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful photos...even if they're not up to your standards. I don't think I have seen Kestrels before...just know the name from literature.
    This week I was able to watch 2 juvenile red-tailed hawks learn to fly. It was so cool...until they swooped down over my dog. He didn't like that...and they didn't like his size, either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. Wild life is so difficult to catch. They are cute little/big birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh...I love them! The birds and the photos. I know how hard it is to get good bird pictures.
    This is silly, BUT, I just learned one of the basic differences between Hawks and Falcons at the Spring Wings Festival I just got back from.
    One hunts and finds their food in the air, the other on the ground. Strong beaks or strong tallons. That's my silly trivia for the day. I love birds. And I think your pics are great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts