Baked Turkey Breast with Apple-Honey Glaze

I was excited to see fresh turkey breast at the market last week.  Just the thought of it brought forth memories of Thanksgiving...how great the house smells and how much I enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner!  I don't know what I always seem to save turkey for the holiday...probably because it brings back memories of how many hours of preparation the meal takes!

Turkey breast seemed to be a good way to enjoy the meal without hours of prep.  I kept it simple...just turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and cranberry sauce.  It was delicious as were the hot turkey sandwiches that followed, the next day.


Baked Turkey Breast with Apple-Honey Glaze
adapted from Pacific Fresh

Serves 6-8

1 bone-in turkey breast, about 3 pounds
Apple-Honey Glaze
Fresh rosemary sprigs, garnish
1-2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Place turkey breast in a small roasting pan. Loosen the skin and place butter underneath.  Mix herbs together and sprinkle under skin.  Pour glaze over turkey.  Bake, uncovered, 1 hour, basting with juices several times while baking.

Cover and bake 30 minutes more until the juices run clear or a meat thermometer registers 150°F.  Remove from oven and let stand, lightly covered, for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Transfer to a warmed platter and slice.  Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve.  Use drippings to make gravy, if desired.

Apple-Honey Glaze
1/2 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.

I made a little gravy from the pan juices.  I added some chicken stock and water to get to about a cup and a half.  I thickened it with a flour paste.  I also had some fresh mushrooms in the refrigerator so I sauted them in butter until softened.  Then I added a splash of sherry and let them simmer on a very low temperature.  I added the mushrooms to the gravy...yum!

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Sometimes we just need turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy!


I am sharing with Make a Foodie Friend Monday hosted by The Saturday Evening Pot.

Comments

  1. wow Kate, this looks excellent and very juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What time is dinner? I wouldn't want to be late for this amazing feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Reminds me that I actually have a little turkey in the freezer, might try "baking" it on the grill:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had turkey, in the house. This glaze sounds perfect for the turkey. I just have to keep this until I get a turkey or maybe, I should use it with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, this looks like the perfect sunday meal with the family! I love a big hearty meal like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The glaze sounds wonderful, Kate. I love the smell of turkey roasting in the oven too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've definitely arrived Kathy - you cook yours to a lower temp than me and it looks so moist and juicy (yes both moist and juicy). I'm doing a turkey breast for our blogger party and have always pulled them at 155-160, but I may back off another 5*. Your herb package sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's cold here..and windy and raining..we had fish.. and rice..I bet my husband would have preferred your meal:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow the glaze sounds marvelous and the turkey breast has baked to a perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just discovered your blog and I love it! I absolutely adore finding new food blogs that cook the way I do. I'm your latest follower. Oh, and this sounds like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thia looks delicious. Your food photos are great. Love the hummingbirds too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I need turkey and potatoes. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts