Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lemonade or Lemon Drop Martini?


What does one make when faced with an abundance of lemons...lemonade or a lemon drop martini?  Why both, of course...along with lemon tarts,  lemon pie bars, Chicken Picatta, (the newest version),  Linguine with Shrimp Scampi and trays of frozen lemon juice!

I must admit that I had never made fresh lemonade.  Why, I have no idea, I just hadn't.  After making two pitchers of it....just for me, I know I will always be making it fresh!  Goodness...three ingredients:  lemon juice, water, sugar....and it doesn't require much time.


Fresh Lemonade

Yields:  2 quarts

3 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 20 lemons)
1 1/2 to 2 cups superfine sugar
4 cups water
Lemon slices

Option:  Sliced strawberries

Pour the lemon juice through a sieve (to catch pulp and seeds) and into the pitcher.  Add 1 1/2 cups sugar to start, stir until dissolved.  Stir in 4 cups of water and some ice.  Taste.  Add the additional sugar if desired.  Garnish with fresh lemon slices and/or strawberries.


Actually, I don't think that there is anything that can compete with fresh lemonade!

I decided that making a Lemon Drop Martini would be a great idea and, why not?  
I had plenty of lemons!


Lemon Drop Martini

Yield:  1

1 1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz orange liqueur
1 tsp superfine sugar or to taste
3/4 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Ice cubes
Superfine sugar for dipping glass rim
Twisted peel of lemon

Mix the vodka, orange liqueur, sugar, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice;  shake well (about 40 times to blend and dissolve sugar).

Pour strained drink into sugar-rimmed martini glass and garnish with a twisted peel  of lemon.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I learned that I am not a bartender.  My Lemon Drop was not very good at all.  It was way too strong for me and not sweet enough....


4 comments:

  1. Both are wonderful, but it's after 7PM on the east coast... I'll have the martini please:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I'll take the martini, twice! Great post and putting me in the mood..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lemonade looks so refreshing Kate. I must admit I've never made it either. Sigh.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look fab, but I am partial to the lemon drop martini. :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete