Chunky Beets and Icy Red Onions

I have loved beets.  We had them regularly when I was growing up.  What can be better than a pickled egg and beets?  Not much.  Last week we got fresh beets in our weekly veggie box and I was looking for something new to try.  I also hadn't been consistent in participating in French Fridays with Dorie so I visited her site and pulled out Around My French Table.  Chunky Beets and Icy Red Onions was on the list to prepare so that is what I did!

The dressing was a wonderful mixture that has sherry vinegar, honey, Dijon and fresh oregano!  It is chilled and poured over the beets.  Yum!  We loved the salad.


Would I make it again?  You bet.  I would, however, cut back on the onion.   For us, a little onion would be better.


Comments

  1. Beets are very good with so many things. I love country grown veggies and beets are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets, such a wonderful earthy flavor! Wish I had better luck growing them:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on pickled beets too and could still eat an entire jar at one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love beets! My mother used to make a pickled beet and egg salad that was heaven. My kids never liked it, although they do like fresh beets.
    This looks like a super recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for great recipes for beets - I know they're really good for you - these flavors sound SO good - and simple which is perfect for me!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few weeks back I tasted beet tartar, as opposed to beef tartar. It was fabulous, and I'm still trying to figure out how it was made. Yes, beets are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kate, I was going to look for a beet recipe today. I bought some golden beets at the market yesterday for a simple salad for Sunday dinner. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this, Kate. I've just been preparing fresh beets for the last year or so and have tried several recipes. This one looks great. We're seeing more beets at our local Farmers Market, too -- red and golden. Yum. xoA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts