Seafood Gratin


Our gourmet group met last week.  We haven't had an opportunity to get together in a long time so we were all thrilled to spend an evening filled with great food and conversation!  When the menu was put together I must admit that I went a bit overboard with the shrimp, it appeared in three courses!  I rationalized that by convincing myself that one can never have too much seafood!

The gratin was a combination of lobster, halibut, shrimp, and scallops!  It was very rich and delicious!


Seafood Gratin

Sauce Ingredients
1 cup clam juice
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plus 3 Tablespoons good white wine. (I used a Sauvignon Blanc.)
3 Tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp saffron threads
8 ounces raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and cu in half crosswise
8 ounces raw halibut, cut into 1-inch chunks
8 ounces raw scallops, cut into chunks
8 ounces cooked lobster meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 Tbsp flour
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
3 cups leeks, white and light green parts cut into half moons (about 2 large)
1 1/2 cups julienned carrots (about 3 carrots)
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 Tbsp minced garlic (2 cloves)

Preheat oven to 375° F. Place four gratin dishes on sheet pans.


Combine the stock, cream, 1/2 cup of the wine, the tomato puree, and saffron in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, lower heat, and add the shrimp.  After 3 minutes, remove the shrimp to a bowl using a slotted spoon.  Add the halibut to the stock and cook for 3 minutes, until just cooked through.  Remove to the same bowl using a slotted spoon.  Add the cooked lobster to the bowl.

Continue to cook the sauce until reduced by half, about 12 minutes.  Mash 1 tablespoon of the butter together with the flour. Whisk the butter mixture into the sauce along with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saute pan. Add the leeks and carrots and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
Combine the panko, Parmesan, parsley, tarragon, and garlic. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and mix it into the crumbs until they're moistened.
Divide the seafood among the 4 gratin dishes. Strew the vegetables on top of each dish. Pour the sauce equally over the seafood  and vegetables and spoon the crumbs evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Serve hot.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I wasn't able to finish mine so it became lunch the next day....it was just as yummy!
I am sending this over to Michael at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.
And, to Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney for Fat Camp Friday.

Comments

  1. That dish looks divine and perfect for special company. I will try it out, and then probably save the recipe to wow company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks delish! I'll definitely have to try~ I love eating out of the little ramekins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of these sweet little dishes now! Yum♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this looks amazing! I was just thinking yesterday that I really wanted seafood and was imagining some sort of lobster pie. This looks so good that I'm going to have to try it instead. I love that it's made in individual ramekins and it is served so beautifully. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe you can go overboard on shrimp - we call that a "Shrimp fest"! I can't get enough. This is so beautiful. I bet everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your presentation is so pretty..Sounds delish..we enjoy these kinds of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful! There's no way you can go overboard on shrimp....
    And I love your little salad side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look soooo good. I can't wait to try these. I'm always looking for a different appetizer when entertaining. This looks perfect! It reminds me a bit of a recipe I have from my Mom that I cook in large scallop shells (like 4" in diamter). Thanks for the inspiration.

    It would be great to have you with us at Seasonal Sundays too.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing that I'm going out to dinner in an hour. I've been trying to catch up on food blogs, and you're the last stop (best for last). Wow! I love gratin. How I wish I had a dinner group! Truly, that last photo has my stomach growling. Beautiful, and I love the vegetables too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your gratins look delicious. I've made this before and it is sooo good. Ina's recipes are always a hit. You are lucky to have a gourmet group.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! Absolutely amazing! Gourmet groups are fun, not to mention delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so good, I couldn't resist featuring it this week! I have a new look on my blog and now the featured blog is on the front page all week! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe! http://mangoesandchutney.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just as you stated, savoury, rich and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts