Kahlua Bars

I was born with a sweet tooth.  Sure wish I hadn't been.  Sure wish I could train myself better.  If I had proper training maybe I could pass up dessert recipes.  It comes in spurts...and I promise after this post, no more sweets for a long time!  (I don't break promises...remind me of that, if I should lapse!)

What is better than brownies?  Well, brownies that are flavored with Kahlua, topped with frosting that is flavored with Kahlua and then drizzled with chocolate.  That sounded mighty fine to me!  I even had an excuse to make them....we had some friends for dinner and I needed a quick and tasty dessert.  And, since it was for company, why not add a scoop of vanilla ice cream?

Unfortunately, these taste so good and they are so rich that reaching for a second brownie or a third brownie, even though they were small, left me feeling uncomfortable.  Did I return the next day...but of course.


Kahlua Bars

Yield:  24 to 32 bars

Brownies
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Kahlua
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Frosting
2 Tbsp Kahlua
1 tsp instant Expresso
1/2 cup butter (1 cube), room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tsps half and half

Topping
1 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 Tbsp butter

Brownie Preparation
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking pan

In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter together.  Remove pan from the heat and mix in sugar, eggs, vanilla and Kahlua.  Stir flour, baking powder and salt.

Spread in prepared pan.  Bake at 350°, 25 to 30 minutes or until batter starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Cool.

Frosting Preparation
In a small bowl, mix Kahlua with the instant Expresso, stirring until the coffee is dissolved.  In a medium bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla together.  Add coffee mixture and beat until well blended.  Add half and half to desired consistency.  Spread frosting over cooled brownies.

Topping Preparation
In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter together.  Cool slightly, then drizzle topping over frosting.  Cool until chocolate is set.  Cut into bars.

PRINTABLE RECIPE
_______________________________________________________________________________


Alert:  You may wish to give as many brownies away as possible.  I gifted my daughter and neighbor with a few.


I am sending this to The Saturday Evening Pot for Make a Food-"e"-Friend Mondays!

Comments

  1. Okay well brownies are a guaranteed crowd pleaser...but with your added ingredients they seem even better! I love your presentation. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound wonderful and look it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you right now that if I made these, I'd be tempted to eat them all! So gifting is the way to go! Love the idea of Kahlua and of course espresso makes chocolate taste so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of a Kahlua brownie before, but I bet they are to die for, they sure look like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - they look decadent and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those recipes that I want to run home from work and make immediately. If I didn't have cupcakes there already I probably would. I'm definitely making these and soon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother in law loves Kahlua so I am sending a link to your site to her. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these linked up at MAFF Monday, I love anything kahlua so I had to check it out! I'm loving alot of your recipes, I am your newest follower :)

    Check out my blog and follow back if you like!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost feel a diabetic coma coming on just from looking at these. WOW, how good do they look?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely going to try these!


    www.theselftaughtcook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't come here anymore... i am not allowed to eat like this anymore... i have a weakness for dessert. i can't rest until the pan is licked clean... like a potato chip, you can't stop with just one, by law i must it ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so dangerous! I love Kahlua, and I love brownies and these are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Give them away?? Crazy talk! Sounds and looks super scrumptious :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness -these sound amazing! I love brownies so I can only imagine how tasty these are with the kahlua.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    danielle

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, this is great.Wish I am your neighbor too. Time for me to grab your recipe and make mine. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are just too darn wonderful-sounding. We're talkin' salavation here. Not salvation. Or, maybe so. Thanks, Kathy. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Kahlua bars... sinfully delicious!!
    I was born with a sweet tooth too:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts