Layered Black Bean Enchiladas


As I perused the frig and the cupboard I decided that I had ingredients that could come together to make some sort of enchilada.  I wasn't up for rolling enchiladas so I took the easy way out and layered them.  One doesn't need a recipe for this dish, just a general plan!

My plan was that the Kitchen Gnome would make guacamole.  He makes the best guacamole and I know he was thrilled that he got drafted.  One of these days I will pay close attention and try to write out what he does...he doesn't measure anything...but I think I can give approximates.

I made a quick pico de gallo.  I combined some chopped tomatoes (two romas), white onion (about 1 small, chopped), jalapeno (1/2 large, chopped) and cilantro (minced, about 2 Tbsp) in a bowl.  I added the juice from one lime and a little salt and pepper.  I adjusted the amounts to serve just the two of us.


Layered Black Bean Enchiladas


Serves 4-6


Ingredients
6  six inch corn tortillas
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 can black beans (15 oz), drained
1 jar salsa (about 15 oz., medium heat)
Taco seasoning (either use a package or add your own:  cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, etc.)
Mexican blend cheese (or shred some cheddar)
Cilantro
Avocado (for garnish or make guacamole)
Sour Cream

Directions
Preheat oven 350°
Grease a 13 X 9 casserole dish

Cut 6 tortillas into quarters.  Cover the bottom of the pan with the quarters.

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium high heat and drain any grease.  Add the taco mix or seasonings and mix.  Reduce the heat to medium.

In a small bowl combine the drain beans and salsa. (I judged the amount of salsa by sight...I used about 3/4 of the jar.  I did not want the mixture to be runny....)

Place about 1/2 of the meat mixture over the tortillas in the casserole dish.
Layer the bean and salsa mixture next.
Sprinkle cheese next.

Add another layer of tortilla quarters.
Layer the remaining meat mixture.
Cover with cheese.
Sprinkle with 1-2 Tbsp of cilantro.

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Serve with a spoonful of pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and a sprinkle of cilantro.

There really isn't anything exact about this recipe.  One could add more or less of any ingredient.  Or, there could be the addition of a can of corn (15 oz., drained) or some chopped chilis, drained, if desired.  It just depends on personal taste preference!


We had enough to share.  It was a great quick and easy dish.  I am going to make this again, soon!

 I am participating in Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum and Fat Camp Friday hosted by Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney.  Thank you ladies for the opportunity to share!

Comments

  1. Saving this one for sure. Wish I could get hubby to eat avocado (Pouting). Sounds wonderful!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this recipe on FatCamp Friday. It looks soooo good! I've got a potluck to go to this week...now I know what I'm taking.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect!! Love enchiladas and especially layered!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliantly colorful post! Yes watch your hubby make it..and get back to us..Happy Easter~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What nice meal and somrthingthat would be a hi at my place; saving this one.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great-looking, easy-to-make dish! We can get our Mexican food fix without leaving the house. Thanks, Kathy. ~xoA

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering, your enchiladas looks super tasty...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this post--can't wait to try your enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to eat the enchiladas! They look so fresh and tasty. Excellent dish!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is screaming my name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks sooooo delish! Layered enchiladas is a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could just dive into that dish! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your enchiladas look incredible! You have no idea how bad I want them - right now - I could eat dinner again after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts