Where Oh Where Is My Lasagna Recipe?


Have you every lost a very favorite recipe and searched high and low and it was nowhere to be found?  I have and it is so frustrating.  I have a very bad habit.  Instead of putting the recipe back where I got it after using it, I will set it beside the computer while I write up a post or stick it inside whatever cookbook is open and use it as a bookmark....bad, bad, thing to do.  I am assuming that is what I did...I have done it before so it seemed like history would repeat itself.

I wanted to make lasagna.  I had my heart set on making it, so needless to say I was willing to do anything to find it....even if that meant pulling out piles of magazines.....


and newspaper clippings and pages that I had printed off...


It was time to sort through everything or there would be no dinner.  Well, all of the hours of work sorting were to no avail.  What to do?  I remembered sharing the recipe with my daughter.  Nope, she didn't have it but maybe her husband did...but they were on vacation in Hawaii.  Dinner was looking like a dream.

There is a happy ending to this story.  My SIL had it on his computer...he sorted through his emails and  forwarded the recipe to me...it was a forward of the forward that he sent when I lost the recipe a year or so ago.  Thank you, Kevin!!  I will find my original...it has become a quest.  But there would be lasagna for dinner!


Kate's Lasagna

1 pkg frozen cut leaf spinach
8-10 lasagna noodles
1 to 1.5 lb ground beef
1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
1 onion
2 lrg clove garlic
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 cup water (or red wine)
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
dash of pepper
1 egg
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup parmesan shredded + 1/2 cup more for top
3/4 cup mozzarella > 1 lb mozzarella grated

Cook spinach per directions until thawed.
Cook noddles.

In large skillet brown ground beef, sausage, chopped onion, crushed garlic; drain fat. Reduce heat. Add tomato sauce, paste, water/wine, stir until smooth. Add mushrooms.  Stir in seasonings. Simmer 20 minutes.

In a bowl mix spinach, egg, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese + 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Pour 1/2 of meat sauce into a 9x13-inch pan. Cover w/layer of noodles. Spread spinach-cheese mixture over noodles.

Add another layer of noodles, then remaining meat sauce, remaining mozzarella, plus
another 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan.

Sprinkle top with parsley. 
Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes 
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


The lasagna was delicious.  I made it and I was the only one home!  Everybody had somewhere else to be...it didn't matter.  My SIL saved the day and I got to eat lasagna!  I shared with the neighbors as one cannot eat lasagna alone.

Comments

  1. I thought every one other than me had their recipes in a high state of organization! I have to say that your search was a little like mine at times. I have been known to look at a recipe, answer the phone, turn back around and the recipe is gone!

    This dish looks like it was worth all the trouble. Wish I lived next door to you!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made lasagna too 2 days ago and now you make crave for another plate of lasagna again...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be great if you went to all that trouble..Been there done that:) )

    I'll try this one day..Cute post..Very nice SIL:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, that looks amazing. Your search for the recipe definitely reminds me of myself - I spent two hours looking for a cookie recipe the other day and I still haven't found it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you would be on a quest to find this recipe. Got to have the sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I'm so happy to have a recipe that prompted so much searching. I hate it when I misplace a recipe. Sometimes it never turn up, but I usually find what I'm looking for in the most unlikely place. It usually gets picked up with something else and filed away in the wrong place. At least if I've blogged it I know where to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happens to me all the time! It drives me CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that I'm not the only one! He! He! Your lasagna looks delicious! I have a couple of awards for you over at my blog. Please do drop by to pick them up when you can. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's some of the cheesiest, most juicy and fantastic lasagna i've ever seen. this is definitely a recipe that it'd be a shame to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happens to me all of the time Kate. It's even worse when my husband will request something he loved and I can't even remember what recipe he's talking about.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing. Recipes stuck in cookbooks, some from the year of the flood! I don't use one for lasagna though, just make it the same way each time.
    Glad you found yours!
    Your cupcakes look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great lasagna recipe. I am going to have to try this one this weekend.
    I am going to cook it for the family.

    Thanks
    Lasagna Guy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts