Potatoes Gratin (pommes dauphinois)

To accompany the wonderful Roasted Chicken for Les Paresseux last week, I also make potato gratin (pommes dauphinois).  I adore gratins.  They are truly comfort food.  Yes, they are rich.  Yes, I know that there are more calories in one bite than my entire breakfast and lunch put together!  (Well, maybe I exaggerate...)  I cannot think of a better calorie or better combination than the roasted chicken and the potato gratin.  It was a superb meal.

There were layers and layers of potatoes.  A ladle of creamy goodness was poured over each layer of potatoes.  I added a bit of thyme to each layer as I worked.  The creamy garlic infused goodness made its way between every slice of potato!


I will make the gratin potatoes again with one adjustment.  I will cut back on the garlic.  Or, I will try straining the cream to remove the garlic.  I like garlic in moderation and for me, less is more.  You see I cannot be content waiting to eat leftover gratin potatoes until the next night's dinner...I like them for breakfast the next day! 

The recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook, Around My French Table, which has received quite a bit of mention and numerous recommendations.  I am so glad that I have it in my cookbook library!


  Delicious food!

Comments

  1. IM glad you liked them. I made these the frist week and loved them.
    I made the flan this week but made it with sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making this tomorrow for a Friendsgiving - hopefully it will turn out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, this looks amazing. I can't wait to make it next week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't even thought about the calories until I read your post! YOu picture looks wonderful. I used minced garlic instead of fresh. I wonder if that makes a difference with the potency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calorie shmalorie :P

    This looks stunning. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great looking meal, pass a fork

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like cheesey, potatoey yumminess:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have such a weakness for potatoes and cheese. This looks delicious, Kate, and I'm looking forward to trying it. I could eat it for breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it does work well for breakfast. I enjoyed the garlic but only used 1/2 the amount in the recipe. With the other fresh herbs...any maybe a mix-in like ham...the garlic can be overpowering. But most Europeans I know love their garlic...seems to keep them healthy or something?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love garlic so didn mind extra!!
    I love the thyme that lives up to ur blog name, cute!
    And it looks so delightful ,if u have leftovers ,they slice up beautifully the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love garlic..the little emblem for Dorie is cute too..Glad to see you making such good use of the book:)Thyme is one of my favorite herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dish looks absolutely yummy! Ditto about the garlic, reduce and strain next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures are making me want to go cook this all over again. I did the chicken and potatoes together too (with chick post this week, potatoes next week). Boy, did it make for a fabulous dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm, i do remember gratin for breakfast! it was lovely! your gratin looks delicious and the sprinking of thyme is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look yummy. Of course you would use thyme...ie. the name of your blog. I certainly would like a big ol' piece of your potatoes right this minute..Love the post...B

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my favorite way to have potatoes!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a potato and cheese girl!! I'd also serve this up to myself for breakfast if there were any leftover from a group of grateful diners!!

    I'm going to treat myself to Dorie's latest if Santa doesn't bring it to me!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to make these for Thanksgiving next week and will add Thyme as well. Seems like a natural.
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the gratin was just delightful. A keeper for sure. I did not have a problem with garlic (we all love it too much!), but I don't think that straining the cream would detract from the taste at all. It's enough for the cream to be infused.
    BTW, I love your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This potato dish is heavenly. I could make a whole meal out of just this, but so I don't feel too guilty, I add a green salad. Yum.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts