Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting


One can never have too much pumpkin...and why do I continue to buy the large cans?  I think my mom has me brainwashed...from youth!  To date I have made, Pumpkin Buttermilk Bundt Cake, All-in-One Holiday Bundt Cake, Pumpkin Bread, and today, Pumpkin Cupcakes!  I have pumpkin left...well, of course I would, I bought the big can.  So as not to waste, I will be making pumpkin pancakes (I have seen them popping up on all of the blogs.) and Pumpkin Gorganzola Flans.  That is the past and the future...let's talk cupcakes!

I have stumbled upon a winner!  I am not ready to give up pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving but these cupcakes are delightful.  They are light and moist with just the right amount of sweetness and spice.  The Maple Cream Cheese Frosting is a perfect match.  This definitely is a keeper.  The only change that I made was in regard to the English Toffee pieces that were suggested for the topping.  I didn't have any on hand so I used Cacaco Nibs.  I know that I liked the subtlety of the nibs as opposed to the sweetness of the toffee.


Pumpkin Cupcakes
with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Ina Garten, House Beautiful

Yield:  10 cupcakes
Preheat oven: 350°

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin purée (8 ounces), not pie filling
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Cacao Nibs (for decoration)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 10 paper liners.

2. Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. In a larger bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.

3. Divide the batter among the prepared tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely. (I removed them from the muffin tin, without casualities, to cool.)

4. Frost the cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with cacao nibs.

Maple Frosting

6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon Maple flavoring
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter on low speed until smooth. Stir in the maple flavoring and vanilla extract. With the mixer still on low, slowly add confectioner's sugar and mix until smooth.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I played in the frosting today.  I just had to try out using the pastry bag and squirt this wonderful tasty frosting on top of the cupcakes.  I tried different tips to see the results of each.  I learned that one can get quite a bit of frosting on top of a cupcake but with varying results.  It was fun.

I think I am going to need another batch of these for next week.  They are too good not to share.

Comments

  1. The cupcakes are beautiful, and just as delicious I'll bet. Nice photos, too, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful..I have had this recipe cut out and in my to do file since I got the magazine. I am so glad to see your glowing review! Yours look so pretty!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!The pics and the cupcakes:) I just bought a little tool that hollows out cupcakes..I may be a little glutton and try soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cream cheese and pumpkin just seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you only you deliver. I was craving these, las tnight, while you were announcing these were in your possession. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that maple frosting piled high! Nothing better in the fall than anything made with pumpkin...I have three cans in my pantry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say thanks to your mom! She knew that being frugal and buying the large can would lead to all your delicious pumpkin recipes. I'm off to the grocery store today and have a large can of pumpkin on my list!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maple frosting on pumpkin cupcakes sound heavenly! I never tire of pumpkin goodies - just bought two giant cans of it myself and have a small fresh one to roast too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree - one can never have too much pumpkin! And maple cream cheese? YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous cupcakes Kate. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pumpkin cupcake looks beautiful! Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I buy the big cans of pumpkin too and it's always a handful of baking adventures when I open one! Your pumpkin cupcakes look fantastic...especially with the frosting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts