BLT Potato Salad


 The first thing the Kitchen Gnome said when I told him I had a new potato salad recipe that I wanted to try was, "Don't mess with the potato salad recipe.  Yours is great.  I don't want another kind."  Those are nice compliments....but I really wanted to try this new recipe.  I told him that he would love it, it had bacon in it!  (How else does one appeal?  Bacon added to anything is great!)  I was definitely making this potato salad...it had spoken to me!!

I saw the recipe while cruising through Food With Style, Jain's wonderful collection of photo links.  There was a photograph that said, "You will want to make me!"  So, I clicked and found myself on a blog that was new to me, Home is Where the Boat is!  Mary has a great blog and on this day she was participating in the Edible Book Review that is hosted by Jain, at Food for Thought

The recipe is credited to Southern Living, September 2005 and can be found here.  I made a few adaptations to it....and, I was in such a hurry to eat it that I forgot the "L"!  The lettuce leaves remained in the refrigerator...maybe next time...  I always allow my warm potatoes to marinade in oil and vinegar until they are cool so that step has been added.  Our potato salad preferences call for a hint of mustard.  This dressing had a stronger mustard taste than we like, so I adjusted the proportions.


BLT Potato Salad
adapted from Southern Living

Serves 6-8

3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup grape tomatoes, whole if they are small or cut in half if they are large
3 green onions, tops only, sliced
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
4-5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Lettuce leaves

Dressing
1 1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 Tbsp pickle relish
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
3/4 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender.  Drain.  Transfer to a large bowl.
Drizzle some oil and red wine vinegar over the potatoes.  Allow potatoes to cool.

In a separate bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.  Taste and adjust, as needed.

Add tomatoes, green onion tops and eggs to the potatoes.  Pour desired amount of dressing over the potatoes and gently mix until well blended.  Add the crumbled bacon just before serving.

Serve on lettuce leaves.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I am very happy to be able to share this recipe with all of you at today's Saturday Blog Showcase.  Thank you Mary at Home is Where the Boat is for the inspiration!  Saturday Blog Showcase is hosted weekly by Ann of Thibeault's Table and Lori at All That Splatters.


 Stop by and take a look!

Comments

  1. Me too:) The only thing I'll add tomorrow are the tomatoes..Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. I agree bacon makes everything better.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, this salad has my name on it. We love BLT's so who wouldn't love this salad?

    Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this salad is now speaking to ME! It looks and sounds wonderful. This is the recipe I'll use next time I make potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just looking at your pictures made me want to make this. Great job and great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm, this looks delish, Kate. I like the addition of tomatoes and will try that next time. Love the bacon too, of course. Potato salad is my summertime favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kate for the mention...I love bacon on anything too :-) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do love a good potato salad and with bacon. lettuce and tomato this sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little tomatoes sound great in this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful...that sounds like my family telling me not to mess with anything...lol...
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a delicious potato salad. Potato salad is so versatile, it's hard not to try new recipes. I just recently made one with lemon.

    I love bacon and no doubt, it adds a wonderful flavor to your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got that right! If I cook bacon, I have a husband standing over my shoulder. LOVE this version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a fabulous potato salad. I love Southern Living recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was with the Kitchen Gnome until I saw this. I am so picky about my potato salad and this just ups the ante ;-) Looks perfect...I'll have to try it.

    Thanks, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this potato salad, Kate! Bacon! Yummy. Perfect summer food. Will go over and look at Where the Boat Is in a sec.
    It's really hard to change a recipe you've been making for years (and that your mother made before you!) but this one deserves a try ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this really looks great. I love potato salad and this one looks even better than the regular kind.... definitely will make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks and sounds so good! I was thinking about making my first potato salad of the year and I just might try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has got to be the best thing to happen to potato salad! Oh man, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts