A Bird in Passing

We have gone to numerous places to view the wild flowers.  Along the way we have seen many birds.  I was able to capture a picture or two and would like to share them with you.


On the backyard fence, a Cooper's Hawk eyes the sparrows who scattered under the bushes.


Being able to capture a road runner is really special.  They are usually so fast that one doesn't have time to focus!  These were running in the orange grove that we passed on our way to Wind Wolves Preserve to see the wild flowers.


The meadow lark's song is quite distinctive.  This one sat on a fence post long enough for me to snap a picture.


There are so many types of sparrows that identifying them can be a challenge.  My daughter refers to them a "little brown jobs!"


When we arrived at the coast I had to go to a few of our favorite spots.  This curlew was standing close to shore at Sweet Springs Preserve in Los Osos.


It wouldn't be a trip to the coast without my friend, the egret.  I ended up with a very sore neck trying to take this picture.  They nest near the top of the eucalyptus trees.  I was able to get one shot of it at the nest.  (I need a tripod!)  I am so glad that we are no longer killing them so that we can collect feathers for hats!


 These house finches were hanging around Morro Rock.


And last, but not least, the only non-bird in the group!!  (Smile!)  I couldn't resist sharing a picture of the sea otters. Aren't they adorable?  They were diving for crabs!


 Thank you for joining me on a bird tour today.  Isn't Outdoor Wednesday fun?  Do stop by A Southern Daydreamer and take a look at the other outdoor explorations!  Thank  you Susan, for hosting!

Comments

  1. What a great group of pictures! I can't believe you got so many bird pics. Do you think that sea otter has lactating pups? It is a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful bird photos, I would love to see a roadrunner. The otters are so cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a dream of mine to get some good bird photos...however...I would have to leave the dogs behind. They tend to scare the birds into flight.
    Great job!

    Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos ~ I've never seen a road runner (except the Warner Bros. variety :-) or a curlew! I have to say the sea otters are my favorite of the group!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You SEE so many things..Just great.. How much fun to capture them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, those are wonderful pics..love them all! I posted about a strange visitor to our yard this week...
    Hope you are well and that you had a beautiful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics! I love the one of the egret the most!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos, Kate. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know you were a bird watcher? So am I and I just love it. Gorgeous photos!

    I can always tell when a hawk is nearby because our property is totally silent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pictures, you must have a fabulous camera, well that and you're a great photographer obviously :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures...especially the sea otters! I was in GA over the weekend and took pictures of a hawk and it looks similar to your pict. I thought it was a chicken hawk but now I am going to have to research Cooper, I have never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous photos! Like you, I am very glad Egrets are not being killed for feathers. Love the otters!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots! Enjoyed the outdoorsy post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I envy your birds. Arent' they gorgeous? And aren't you wonderful for sharing them with us?

    ReplyDelete
  15. dang you take great pics! love love love the otters. every thing is so hard to caprture, good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts