Pan Roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon and A Fleur De Sel Thank You

Do you need a simple yet elegant dish that you can serve to company with a smile and make easily for family too? I think I have found one! While browsing the Feb/Mar issue of Fine Cooking I spotted a recipe that sounded as though it would be delicious. Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon is easy to make and worthy of company!

The chicken is flavorful by itself but when each bite of chicken is accompanied by olives and shallots it is wonderfully flavorful. The Kitchen Gnome gave it two thumbs up with a cheer! He also requested that I not misplace the recipe. I always know that he would like to have it again when he makes that request.

I did do a few things differently. I used a combination of chicken breasts and thighs instead of a whole chicken. I always remove the skin from chicken and the olives I had on hand were Kalamata Olives. The article is about olives and mentions that any type of olive can be used in the featured recipes.

I served it with Wine Lovers Rice, which was a perfect match for the chicken, and broccoli. It was a perfect because it allowed the flavor of the chicken dish to shine through with every bite.


Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Lemon

1 chicken, cut into eight pieces or, a mixture of chicken breasts and thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium lemon
1 Tbs. unsalted butter; more as needed
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 medium shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
3/4 cup jarred brined olives, rinsed, pitted, and halved
8 fresh sage leaves
6 small fresh or 3 dried bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp. chopped

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F.

Season the chicken generously on all sides with salt and pepper.

Cut the ends off the lemon, stand it on one end, and slice off the peel and the bitter white pith to expose the flesh. Cut the lemon segments from the membranes, letting them drop into a small bowl. Cut each segment crosswise into 4 pieces.

Heat the butter and the oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the chicken skin side down until golden-brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the fat. Add the shallots, olives, sage, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and lemon segments, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.

Return the chicken to the pan skin side up and transfer to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°F, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with the chopped thyme.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


and, A Fleur De Sel Thank You!


I was fortunate enough last week to have my post drawn from a hat! Diane at 2 Stews was having a giveaway. I have been following Diane since I started blogging and have found that she shares wonderful dishes, has exciting travels, and is a superb photographer! You must stop by her blog to visit. Each of her posts is fun to read and, I might add, I learn a great deal.

Thank you, Diane, for the Fleur de Sel. I did not have any and have never used it. I am thrilled to now have this wonderful gift! Isn't it beautiful? It came cradled in this lovely packaging.

I had to open it immediately to see how it was different from table, kosher and sea salt. Each crystal is uniquely shaped, like flakes....and like a snowflake, they are all different....to my eye. I can hardly wait to sprinkle these flakes on a deserving entre.

Comments

  1. ********** OOOOOOOOO MY GOSH, THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dish! Fantastic! And congrats on being he lucky winner of Diane's giveaway. I love both your blogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I can't tell you how excited I am to find such a delicous looking/sounding recipe for chicken that I can serve to company. Our neighbors have ♥ health issues & prefer chicken to all other meats. I was running out of ideas of what to serve when I have them over for dinner.

    I am adding these ingredients to my shopping list & will be testing it out on them sometime this week, I hope.
    Thank you for posting this one & for stopping by the Gazebo House, too. I have just become a follower & look forward to many return visits to your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh..Cute post..and the poulet looks yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chicken looks so delicious, with so much flavor, I can just see those flavors bursting from your picture! Recipe looks excellent!

    Nice gift, fleur de sel is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous meal! The chicken sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dish looks wonderful. Also, I find that adding chicken thighs in combination with breasts improves the flavor.

    Congratualtions on being selected to win the Fleur De Sel-that is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken does make a lovely dish good enough for company. Love the olives in it... looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This chicken sounds yummy! Love the flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olives always make me smile. Great recipe and what a great prize as well! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chicken dish looks divine! Olives are unusual with chicken and the variety of herbs was too. Loved it!
    Congrats on your fleur de sel win! I have some right by the stove and use it all the time on salads and finishing touches on various dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on being he lucky winner of Diane's giveaway. I love both your blogs! ;)

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love this kind of dish. This one sounds perfect. Congratulations on the fleur de sel. It's a nice thing to have in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Kate...I made this recipe for the Sat. Blog Showcase this week. It was WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate, I saw your recipe posted by Rett at The Gazebo House. What a great recipe. Can't wait to give it a try.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts