Lori's White Chili on a Rather Blustery Day

I must agree with Pooh...A Rather Blustery Day for sure.

Oh the wind is lashing lusterly
And the trees are thrashing thrusterly
And the leaves are rustling gusterly
So it's rather safe to say
That it seems that it may turn out to be
It feels that it will undoubtedly
Looks like a rather blustery day today!

It was just the right kind of day for chili and Lori's White Chili was on my list! I knew when I read through the ingredients that this was a dish to make. It seems that others felt the same way so I am joining the list of wonderful cooks who have tried Lori's White Chili recipe! I am also participating in Saturday Blog Showcase! This Saturday the Blog Showcase is being hosted by Ann at Thibeault's Table.

Please stop by Ann's blog to take a look at the many recipes and blogs that are being showcased today!

This was the perfect dish for the day...I might add that the leftovers were pretty tasty also!
The tomatillos add a wonderful flavor to this spicy dish. I would bet that you will have seconds! In fact, this is so delicious and easy to prepare that it will be one that you will make over and over again. I know that I will.

I did do two things differently. I drained the beans and increased the chicken broth to equal what was poured off. I also followed Rick Bayless's method for preparing the tortilla strips. Instead of frying, I baked them. It is so much easier for me than frying and there is no mess!

The Dove's Nest White Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-1/2 cups tomato, chopped or 2 cans (10 ounces each) of tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
6 fresh tomatillos, chopped
1 medium jalapeno, seeded, minced
2 cups chicken stock
1 7-ounce can green chilies, chopped
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup (heaping) chopped cilantro
2 19-ounce cans cannellini or Great Northern bean, undrained
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt & pepper to taste
sour cream
shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
Fried tortilla strips (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer; do not brown.

Add the tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapeno. Cook until the tomatillos are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken stock, green chilies, chicken, oregano, cumin, cilantro, beans and lime juice. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the chili into serving bowls.

Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips (if using).

Yields 8 to 10 servings

Baked Tortilla Strips
Source: Rick Bayless, Mexico One Plate at a Time

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the tortillas in strips. Place the strips on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Mist both sides lightly with vegetable oil. Bake, stirring them around once or twice, until they are crisp and lightly golden, 10-15 minutes.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


The family claims that this is a definite keeper. I agree.

Comments

  1. Kate, I'm so glad you tried the recipe and enjoyed it!! I love the idea of baking the tortilla strips. I'll definitely do that next time. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Kate. Lori's White Chili recipe is becoming famous. And deservingly so. It really is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this chili. Love the tortilla strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! We will have to try this when the kitchen is together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when Lori posted this recipe but I never got around to trying it. I will now, for sure! I have never cooked with tomatillos & its time I widened my repertoire.

    Your photography is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing a lot of this White Chili and I promised myself I will be doing this..Yours looks really yummy with the tortilla strips..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a bowl of this right now--I'm FREEZING! I love the tortilla strips--crunch with the chili. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate,
    I would LOVE A BOWL OF THIS STEAMING chili !
    It looks amazing and comforting !
    Thanks for great inspiration !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it's a winner everywhere! Good for you for making it too..looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lori's chili consistently gets rave review and I can't wait to try it. It's on my list for next week. Great photos, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks terrific! Baking the tortilla strips is a terrific idea. I love a little crunch with my chili. Perfect for a cold day.
    Nice choice for the Saturday Blog Showcase!
    Nice pics.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! I love the idea of baking the tortilla stips! Have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate! What a great choice ~ it has received so many great reviews from cooks I admire, yourself included.

    Love your photos ~ and (as others have mentioned) baking the tortilla strips is a brilliant idea.

    Happy SBS! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. The more I see this chili the more I crave another bowl. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw, i adore winnie the pooh...and any bowl of chili i can get my hands on. white chili is a favorite, and the crunchy tortilla strips on top are the perfect compliment to the brothy hot stuff. great recipe, kate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the idea of baking the tortilla strips. I'll definitely do that next time. Thanks for the tip!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make a white chili, too. A bit different from this one, but good, too. I'll try those tortilla strips sometime. xoA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts