A Fox in the Backyard!!

What an exciting afternoon at our house! My husband spotted a fox nearby. I grabbed the camera and headed out back. (He grabbed my daughter's dog who is tiny but tough and would have become mincemeat!) Back to the story. I spotted the little guy and had an opportunity to try out the zoom on my camera. This isn't a fancy camera. (I am gradually moving my way up.) It is a Canon that has a 20X zoom on it and I love it. I never thought I would be able to get close enough to really see anything but, I did.

As I tried to focus and zoom or is it zoom and focus...I know I lost some great shots trying to figure it out but I did get a few that I am happy to be able to share today...

He stopped when he heard us and stared for a moment.

As I got closer, he took off...and was I amazed...there were two foxes! Unfortunately I couldn't get it zoomed and focused fast enough to catch them both as they chased one another... jumping over the puddle and up the hill.

I was sad to see them disappear over the hill but they will be back.

Maybe by then, I will be able to take pictures faster! Maybe by then I will have mastered zoom and focus or focus and zoom!

The question is...were they red fox, gray fox or a combo fox?! They are beautiful regardless.

It is Outdoor Wednesday and it was a beautiful day today...alternating sunshine and downpour! Please visit all of the other folks who have gotten tired of being cooped up and are sharing their outdoor experiences today. Visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer who is hosting Outdoor Wednesday.



Comments

  1. Terrific photos, Kate. It's so confusing trying to do all the things necessary to get a decent shot. I'm going to the beach next week and will try my zoom lens then. But the fun is in the learning...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great capture..It is fun seeing wildlife @home..I love it~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I just got a new lens (Christmas present) which is why I was able to capture that wild turkey. I was quite far away. We have foxes sometimes too and I think the one you saw was a red fox. Isn't photography fun? It is kind of a bi-product of blogging. Now I want to take beautiful pictures too. --Delores

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo's! Very exciting to see one right by your house! We get the occasional raccoon or opossum, but nothing like a fox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a terrific find. I love the one where he leaped. Great shots!

    My Outdoor shots

    PS.. I just became a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've seen a variety of wildlife on our property in the mountains including a red fox and a two hundred pound black bear. We weren't as lucky as you were with your camera handy. Great shots.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots!
    They are so pretty.
    You're right, they'll be back! You'll get 'em with your camera!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots and a neat visitors to your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing that the fox came right into your backyard.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what photos! And what a huge backyard!! Oh, the luxury of having open space :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I showed my kids =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super photos! I used to see a family of them when I walked early in the morning. Other people tell me they are still around. Doubt they are pets, but there you are...right in the middle of Boca Raton.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cool....I wish I would have had my camera on the ready too today as we had deer casually walking down our little subdivision street. Our weather is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too warm for this time of year and I am thinking that the bears are going to get up soon...too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say red fox. A fox comes around my Dad's house and actually shows up every day for scraps (which they feed her because she looked so gaunt and had babies). She dutifully comes every day even if the scraps are not there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool is that? When we lived in DC I once saw a fox in Arlington. Amazing that they can live in the city like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts