Baked Squash Stuffed with Homemade Applesauce, Blogger CLUE


We have had the most wonderful veggie boxes this autumn.  I think our location has a great deal to do with the variety of lovely, organic fruits and vegetables that we receive.  Our box ran over with kale, chard, potatoes, squash, tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, apples, carrots, cantaloupe...you get the idea....it was amazing.

With these wonderful fruits and vegetables on hand, I happily approached my October blog assignment for the Blogger CLUE Society.....and of course, the theme is autumn!  The Blogger CLUE Society is a group of food bloggers. Each month members are paired with another food blogger, given a theme, and each blogger sets off to explore the assigned blog. The objective is to track down a recipe that matches the month's theme and that we are excited about making.

Now one would think that it would be an easy task to find an autumn recipe but guess what, it wasn't. It wasn't easy because Wendy, at A Day in the Life on the Farm has a recipe index that doesn't end and she has only been blogging for a couple of years!  Wendy and her husband are retired law enforcement.  When they retired, they moved far away from the city to the country where they have embraced farm life by raising chickens, pigs and turkeys for meat as well as canning and freezing the many fruits and vegetables that they grow on their twelve acres.  What a change of life style!

As I scrolled through recipe after recipe I spied Wendy's Baked Squash Stuffed with Applesauce! How could I pass that up, when I was looking at a box with squash and apples?  Besides, I couldn't make the Gyro Kabobs I saw, as there wasn't a lamb in the box this week!  "grin"

This was a super delicious side dish!  It popped with flavor and will appear frequently at our house....loved it!!

The applesauce recipe that I used is here:  Homemade Applesauce #2 in the Slow Cooker.


Baked Squash 
Stuffed with Homemade Applesauce


Yield:  4 servings

2 small sweet dumpling squash or acorn squash, scrubbed, halved and seeded
Salt and pepper
4 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup homemade applesauce (My recipe for homemade applesauce is here.)
cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Line a baking sheet with foil.

Lay the squash halves on the foil, skin side down.  Sprinkle the squash liberally with salt and pepper. Put 1 Tablespoon of butter into each cavity.  Flip the squash over so that the skin side is up and roast for 45 minutes.  Test the squash for doneness with a fork.  Remove from the oven.

Flip the squash over and fill each cavity with 1/3 cup homemade applesauce.  Return the squash to the oven for 15 more minutes.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

Note:  My squash were done after 45 minutes so I did not put the squash back in the oven after filling them with applesauce.  I did not add the sprinkle of cinnamon because I forgot!  They turned out super without the extra time in the oven and the sprinkle of cinnamon.

Store bought applesauce could be used but I am really partial to homemade!

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This was truly delicious, so delicious that I almost forgot to eat the Linguine with Shrimp Scampi!

Are you looking for more autumn recipes?  Take a look below at the group's choices.


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, do you think it would be alright if I had some for breakfast.....
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific autumn side dish! I love the homemade applesauce filling---YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sam! :) Love this idea for squash. I've always wanted to make applesauce and this just might be the inspiration I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acorn squash is definitely a perfect autumn dish. I can't even begin to imagine how amazing the aromas were that were wafting through the house as the dish baked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, Kathy. Thank you for all the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, I would have never thought of this combo...but why not?! It makes perfect sense. Looking forward to our baked squash with applesauce coming up this fall soon... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to serve applesauce! It definitely makes it feel more like a side dish as opposed to a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had squash with applesauce but I need to try it! How perfectly autumnal

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would not have thought of pairing that combo, and now I can't stop wondering how it is! How perfect for an autumn dish and our theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a wonderful side dish and the couple that had dinner with us both loved it ! The scampi and pasta you see in the picture was off the charts!! Kate can cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely new to squash but am loving all the squash recipes in this month's roundup! Oh, and on an unrelated note, that pasta looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This may be the quintessential autumn recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I think this is the ideal autumn recipe. I'm totally trying it... can you imagine a platter of these on the Thanksgiving table?? Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great combination for a side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that idea of stuffing the squash with applesauce - a combo I never thought of. I could see how you'd put the pasta and shrimp to the side and focus on the squash.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have an acorn squash and homemade applesauce but I've never thought to combine them. What a delicious idea. It's on the menu for todays dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts