Latin-Style Slaw



Have you ever loved a dish but never been able to recreate it?  That is me and coleslaw.  For some reason it never tastes like what I loved growing up.  I love coleslaw and have tried numerous dressing recipes but I can never find one that is just the right combination of flavors.  I could do a variety of posts on yucky coleslaw recipes!  But then, yucky is relative!

This time, I tried something different.  I decided that a Latin-Style Slaw would go perfectly with the Latin-Style Pork Tenderloin and Chipotle Butter that we were having for guests. I wanted something that was light...with no mayo.  Something that was fresh, tangy and crunchy!  This proved to be just right and the perfect accompaniment to the pork.  So, I can make a slaw as long as mayo is not involved!

Latin-Style Slaw
adapted from Dave Lieberman

Yield:  6 servings

Salad
1/2 small head green cabbage, trimmed, cored and shredded
1/2 small head red cabbage, trimmed, cored and shredded
1/2 medium jicama, peeled and shredded
1 1/2 - 2 cups frozen white and yellow corn kernels
1 bunch cilantro leaves, washed, dried and finely chopped
1 bunch scallions, washed, dried and thinly sliced on the diagonal (both white and green parts)
1 jalapeño, minced (Seeded and membrane removed, if you like.)

Dressing
2 limes, juiced (about 1/4  cup)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp Kosher salt
20 grinds fresh black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredient together in a small bowl.

Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.

Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Just before serving, toss the salad with the dressing.



This was a great slaw and would be perfect on a warm summer day...dinner on the patio, or to take on a picnic!

Comments

  1. I'm on a huge cilantro kick right now, this sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite slaws are without mayonnaise and this one sounds delicious with the crunchy jicama and the lime dressing.. Plus it's so pretty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would work nicely for our tastes and current dietary needs. Thanks, Kathy. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the flavors in this slaw Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love not only the ingredients that were chosen but how get it looks with all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. No matter how many times I've tried to recreate my Aunt Lena's coleslaw from my childhood, it's just not right. However, I think I'm getting close. Love this version and love the font you used for the photo. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love slaws like this, so bright, fresh and full of flavor. I think you do quite well with slaws Kate if this is any indication. It's definitely my kind of side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Afternoon Kate, I do love coleslaw and I feel your latin style coleslaw will be a lovely change this summer. The only thing is, I do not know what a jicama is.... I have never heard of it. Can you give me some idea what it is and then I will see if I can find it here in England.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts