Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Cream Cheese Drizzle



There isn't much about fall that I do not like.  The weather gets cooler, the fall colors are everywhere, and I get to add more pumpkin recipes to my collection!  Today, though, I actually made one.  I have looked at this scone recipe quite a few times.....so, as it is time for the Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge, I am celebrating with a breakfast dessert...is there any such thing? If not, there is today!!

Pumpkin Scones 
with Spiced Cream Cheese Drizzle
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp half and half
1 large egg

Drizzle
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp half and half
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
Pinch of ginger

Preheat the oven to 400° F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger in a large bowl. Using a fork cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and there are no obvious chunks of butter, set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half and half, and egg.  Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Form the dough into a ball.  Pat the dough out on a lightly floured pastry mat.  Form it into a disk, that is 1 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter.  Cut the round into eight wedges, separate them and place the wedges on the baking sheet.  Bake 14-16 minutes, or until light brown and when tested the toothpick comes out clean.  Place on a wire rack to cool.

To make the drizzle, cream the butter until fluffy, but still cold.  Add the cream cheese in small chunks.  When completely combined (no lumps), add the powdered sugar, spices and half and half. If necessary, add additional half and half to arrive at the desired consistency.

Drizzle over each scone allowing it to dry before serving.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Most scones are a bit on the dry side for me....these were dense, yet not too dry.  We enjoyed them with a cup of coffee....it was a nice way to relax!



The Dessert Challenge is hosted by Sheryl at Lady Behind the Curtain.


Comments

  1. I'd gladly put another cup of coffee on for one of these! They sound great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin scones with a luscious drizzle are just what we need this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A breakfast dessert - who wouldn't go for that. Your pumpkin scones are so pretty with the drizzle.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a scrumptious idea! Of course breakfast can be dessert, if it's as yummy as this looks! What a great month for my first dessert challenge. Everyone's recipes look great! I've never made scones, but now I might have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look wonderful! I don't like dry either. That's why I worked on my Irish Soda Bread recipe so long! The ones my Irish relatives made, like so many, were like saw dust! :)

    What's with this party, they don't visit each other? I think I will go leave all of them a message to come visit you. Don't like link and runners! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm....I need to make pumpkin scones ASAP! They look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very good Kathy - lots of pumpkin and winter squash recipes starting to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Kathy! These look terrific. I can go for scones and tea or coffee anytime. And, I never met a pumpkin recipe I didn't like. Yummmm. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with your darlings:)

    These would be good:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send me up a batch of these STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic looking, and I would love to start my morning with one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scones and would love one right now with my coffee.... stopping by from the LBC challenge.
    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, these look so amazing. The cream cheese drizzle is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I was driving threw SB and saw these on the menu. Almost bought one, but homemade is best! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never saw a pumpkin scone. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how I'd love to have these for breakfast this morning! They look just wonderful, that icing sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy do those scones look wonderful! And the icing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Scones are some of my all time favorite breakfast treats! A little pumpkin and spice sounds like the perfect way to start the day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts