Cherry Ice



It is cherry season!  They are in abundance!  Our neighbor brought over a gallon bag of cherries the other day and the very next day, he and Mr. T. headed out to the orchard to pick some more.  The farmer had already harvested and said that they could have what was left on the trees.  There are a lot of trees out there....and it was a very warm day...they left with ladders, ice chests, buckets and water!

I remember fruit in bushel baskets...are you supposed to measure cherries by the bushel?  That would be A LOT of cherries!   The guys used an ice chest...one ice chest of cherries coming up!   They had fun.

I was combing through all of my likely sources for various cherry recipes.  When I saw the recipe for Cherry Ice, I figured it would be refreshing and a great treat after dinner.  Mr. T even pitted a few gallon of cherries for me...bless him!


Cherry Ice
adapted from Martha Stewart, Living, May 2003

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup honey
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups pitted cherries, fresh or frozen,  plus whole ones for garnish
(I added about a tablespoon sugar along the way, during the taste test.)

In a medium bowl, whisk together wine, honey, and lemon juice until combined.  Set aside.

Place cherries in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.  Transfer the cherries to the bowl with the liquid mixture.  Stir until  combined.  Pour into a shallow metal pan and place in the freezer.  Stir with a fork every 10 minutes until mixture is slushy and partially solidified,  about 35 minutes.  Spoon into serving cups; garnish with whole cherries.


A bowlful of cherries is always nice, too!

I am sharing  today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Need to try this.. Must be so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness, cherries are my favorite fruit ever! I can eat my weight in them as I think I could with your beautiful Ice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free Bing Cherries?!?!?!? Wow, that's amazing! They are gorgeous-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how lucky are you to have neighbors like that! I'm seeing the first cherries in the stores and I'm getting excited. This recipe is so refreshing looking, and while I usually go for a cobbler or a crumble with my cherries, I think this is much more suited to the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be absolutely beside myself with delight if there was even a remote opportunity to harvest cherries here in North Florida. Getting cherries from your neighbor friends is awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. We love granitas and they are so much easier than making ice cream. So glad it's cherry season!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering. I just love anything with cherries.
    We have a cherry tree, but usually the squirrels and birds eat them before I can pick them. I am hoping I get a few this year. Cherry Claufotis is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fabulous! I need to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so envious that you have fresh fruit already. My rhubarb is almost ready to pick. That's it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made poached cherry ice last year when they were in season. They are simply awesome. Somehow, I haven't seen them yet this year. I can't wait to make cherry ice again. :) How lucky your neighbor got so much sweet and juicy cherries for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts