Buffalo Mac and Cheese with Chicken

 I don't know where I have been while "Buffalo" dishes have been all the rage.  Why my daughters didn't take me aside and tell me I was missing out, I have no idea.  But, oh, my goodness, I have been missing out!  This is the most comforting of comfort food.  I loved every bite and every bite I took after I should have stopped!  Trust me, you won't regret making this wonderful dish....and... 


I added chicken!  It's a one baking dish meal.  Just add a salad and dinner is complete.

Buffalo Mac and Cheese with Chicken
adapted from Kitchn

Yield:  8 servings
Preheat oven:  375° F.

Kosher salt
12 oz. elbow macaroni
1 pound cheddar cheese
3 TBSP unsalted butter
3 TBSP all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken

Topping

4 TBSP unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 (1 oz) packet ranch dip mix
a few sprigs parsley

While the oven is preheating, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the macaroni and cook per the package directions.  Drain.

Shred the cheddar cheese.  There should be about 4 cups.  Melt 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Add 3 Tablespoons flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.  While stirring, slowly pour in milk and bring to a boil.  Continue to boil until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 6-7 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and add the cheese a handful at a time.  Stir to melt each addition before adding the next handful.  Repeat until all cheese has been added and melted.  Add the drained macaroni, Frank's RedHot sauce and 3 cups of shredded chicken.  Stir to combine.  Taste and add additional Kosher salt, as needed.  Pour the mixture into a prepared 9 X 13 baking dish. 

Prepare the topping.  Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a microwave safe bowl, about 30 seconds.  Add the panko and the ranch dip and stir to combine.  Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the mac and cheese.

Bake until the top is golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes.  Let cool slightly.  Chop the parsley and sprinkle over the top before serving, if desired.




So much flavor!!  

Comments

  1. Looks and sounds delicious Kathy and don't feel alone as I don't turn dishes into a Buffalo version either, but obviously, I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Love a new variation of macaroni and cheese. This one has a kick.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts