Rustic Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup - #soupswappers

Welcome!  I am hosting the Saturday Soup Swappers and this month, we have gone International. We are preparing and posting soups that have an International flare!  Going International is actually pretty easy as far as soup goes.   There are so many soups in our world that all one has to do is decide what ingredients sound good and go from there.  As I think about it, most of the soups that I prepare have an International flavor to them.

The Saturday Soup Swappers is a group of bloggers brought together by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm.  The group gets together on the third Saturday of the month to share soups or stews based on a theme selected by one of the members.  If you are interested in joining in on the fun, follow the link above for more information.  All are welcome!


So, let's go International!  For me, selecting the ingredients was pretty easy.  It was to be sausage and pasta.  I selected sausage, as Miss Sabine's new favorite food is sausage and since pasta is another hit in her book, the ingredients were determined. (Sabine is my four year old granddaughter.)  After that, selecting the country was a no-brainer...On to Italy!

I settled on a Rustic Sausage and Tortellini Soup!  It is not a brothy soup.  It is a hearty soup and quite filling.  The broth, though, is so packed with flavor....(Hint:  Do not omit the Parmesan rind or small hunk of Parmesan cheese.) This is a keeper recipe and worthy of going on the rotation!



Rustic Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
adapted from the Kitchn

Yield:  2-4 servings

Neutral flavor cooking oil, such as Canola
1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
1/2 cup dry red wine (Chicken stock may be substituted.)
1 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes, San Marzano if available
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Parmesan rind or a small hunk of Parmesan cheese
1 package fresh or frozen tortellini, 9 or 12 ounces (I used cheese filled.)
2 cups roughly chopped fresh spinach
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Red pepper flakes

Shaved Parmesan and extra virgin olive oil, for serving

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil into a large Dutch oven.  Heat over medium-high until shimmery.  Add the Italian sausage but do not break it up.  Sear each side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.  Once both sides are golden brown, break the sausage into smaller bite size pieces.  Cook allowing a nice layer of caramelization to form on the bottom of the pan.  Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage from the pan to a bowl.  Set aside.  Leave the fat in the pan.

Reduce the heat to medium.  Add the chopped onions and carrot coins, then sprinkle with salt.  Cook the onions and carrots until they have softened, about 8-9 minutes.  Add the minced garlic and cook until the aroma is releases, about 15 seconds.  Add the red wine and bring to a boil allowing the wine to cook out.  While the mixture boils, stir to release the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.

Add the canned tomatoes and juices to the pot.  Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces using your kitchen shears.  Add the chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, parmesan rind, and cooked sausage.  Season with salt, fresh ground pepper and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Add the tortellini.  Reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is heated through, about 10-15 minutes.

Add the spinach to the pot and stir until wilted.  Taste and adjust the seasonings.  Remove the Parmesan rind before serving.  Ladle the soup into bowls.  Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and a few shavings of Parmesan.

Note:  Serve with some crusty garlic bread.
When reheating the leftover soup, add some additional chicken stock.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I enjoyed this month's theme which led to exploring so many different ideas.  It was really challenging for me to focus and settle in on a particular cuisine!  I forgot something...did Miss Sabine like the soup?  Well, she opted to have pizza.  So, I guess that answers the question.  Next time...maybe.

Follow the Linkz below to visit all of the bloggers who have prepared great soups with an International flare!


Comments

  1. Hearty is my kind of soup and this looks and sounds delicious. Hope you guys are not getting washed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I need to make this soup! I have been planning on making some spinach tortellini; I'll save some to make your recipe! P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this kind of soup. Sounds easy and delicious. Will bookmark. Thanks Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, you never can tell with kids, can you? I think it looks incredible - so filling and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really unfair competition when you offer pizza to a four year old! Your soup sounds amazing. Love that it is chock full of sausage and tortellini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love both tortellini and sausage, this sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally was looking for a recipe for this today! I didn't make it yet, so I think I will try your recipe! Love this link-up- I am a soup for breakfast kind of girl, so all these great recipes are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. We thought it had an amazing broth. It was so flavorful! I am making it again next week!

      Delete
  8. I love everything about this soup! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for hosting this month. Italy seems to be the go to country for soup and I am so glad because, like your granddaughter, I love sausage and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pasta (especially tortellini) in soup!!! Great effort and I would love a bowl for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I simply love this soup, especially the tortellini.. yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts