Normally that would have nothing to do with my blog post.
I had my Wednesday post ready...done...scheduled...awaiting the day...
Then, on Monday evening, as I contemplated the menu for dinner, I had visions of vegetables...lots of vegetables...all of the vegetables that didn't make it onto the vegetable tray and the few left over after the game. There were lots of tidy ziplocks lined up in the frig all filled with a variety of vegetables....
Kate's words came to me "...and I'd have added some cauliflower and broccoli to the vegetables." I had cauliflower. I had broccoli. I had the onion, carrots, and celery. At that moment I knew we were going to make the shrimp I had taken out of the freezer into an appetizer and use the beautiful vegetables that were waiting for their new life in a Cheddar Cheese Soup!
Who is Kate, you ask, and how did you find her? Kate is a financial planner by day who "lives to cook" because she "loves to eat." She also has a live-in sous chef and taste tester who just happens to be her husband who also likes to eat and cook! Sounds like a great pair. Kate started her blog, Kate's Kitchen so that she could share her wonderful culinary adventures and also share with us.
I was introduced to Kate through the Blogger CLUE Society. Blogger CLUE Society is a recipe exchange group. Each month members are assigned a blog, a theme and challenged to find a recipe that meets the theme! How fun is that?! I love a challenge...I love exploring new blogs....I love to cook....and, I do love to eat new things.
This month's theme is Soups and Stews which is why I was wrestling with which recipe I should make from Kate's blog. I thought about her Tuscan Bean Stew, the Drunken Irish Stew, and the Ham and Potato Chowder. Lots of choices but since I had everything I needed.....it was the Cheddar Cheese Soup!
I did fuss with the recipe a little bit. Kate wasn't entirely happy with the soup and made some recommendations so I followed through and came up with a combination that Terry raved about. He must have told me ten times, throughout the evening, how much he enjoyed the soup...so score one for Kate and me!
Since Kate was not happy with the thickness of the soup, I made a roux to get things going. That worked really well. Then, as I mentioned earlier, I added some cauliflower and broccoli. It was perfect. Sadly, my bacon was at a point in its life where we wouldn't want to eat it....so, nix the bacon but next time, there will be bacon! I also adjusted the amount of liquid...there are only two of us!
Cheddar Cheese Soup
adapted from Kate's Kitchen
Yield: about 12-one cup servings
1/2 cup diced bacon (about 2-3 ounces)
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups of a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli florets, cut into small bite size pieces
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup beer
3 cups milk
3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
Brown and drain the bacon. Set aside to use as a garnish.
Wipe out the skillet and add the olive oil. Saute the onion, celery and carrots until softened and the onion is transparent. Set aside.
In the stock pot melt the butter and add the flour. Mix thoroughly. Very gradually add in the cold milk stirring well with each addition. Continue mixing to assure there are no lumps.
Add in the sauted vegetables, chicken stock, and beer. Mix well. When the mixture is hot, add the cheese. Stir the cheese until melted. Add the cauliflower and the broccoli. Simmer gently until the vegetables are tender.
Serve the soup with bacon crumbles on top. Or, chop the parsley and sprinkle on top.
For more soup and stew recipes to temp you family, take a look at the recipes other members of Blogger CLUE are sharing.
- Caldo de Mariscos - Mexican Seafood Soup by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Cheddar Cheese Soup by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Chicken Asado by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Classic French Onion Soup by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Creamy Ham Swiss Potato Soup by Amy from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Egg Drop Soup by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Egg Drop Soup by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Italian Soup by Anna from annaDishes
- New York Strip Steaks with Cognac Creamed Mushrooms by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Okie Peasant Potato Soup by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Potato and Ham Chowder by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Roasted Squash and Apple Soup by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Simple Cheese Soup by Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Veggie Chili by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Karen from Lavender and Lovage