Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip

I remember the first time that I saw Spinach and Artichoke Dip on the restaurant menu.  It sounded so good to me....hot, saucy, spinach and artichokes blended with cheese....not necessarily the most healthy of dips but one that is....wait, it has vegetables, it has to be a little healthy!  Let's just forget the mayo, cream cheese, the gooey Parmesan cheese and whatever else is usually mixed in....I mean, really forget it...living in a state of denial allows one to truly savor each and every bite of those wonderful vegetables!

I have always wanted to make this dip and I had been researching recipes for a long time.  Most everybody has a twist on this recipe...Alton Brown has one that looked pretty good and I loved the sprinkle of red pepper flakes in his recipe.  I made a note to include that when I made it...if I ever did....

Then there was the article from America's Test Kitchen that mentioned how the dip is sometimes floating in grease, bland and turns to rubber as it cools...yep, that describes the last time I ordered it.  The Test Kitchens set forth to make a creamy dip that wasn't the least bit greasy or rubbery...it's made with a flour-thickened Parmesan and cream sauce....mmmm...mmmm...I adore Parmesan cheese....and they included hot sauce!


So, yes, I made the dip...and yes, I lived in denial, and yes, I enjoyed every piece of naan spread with this warm and creamy concoction...and since I don't do this very often, I didn't worry about it!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip
adapted from America's Test Kitchens - Cook's Country

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 box frozen chopped spinach (10 oz), thawed and squeezed dry

Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat to 450° F.  Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the artichokes and cook until lightly browned. about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Set the pan aside.

Melt the remaining butter in an empty saucepan.  Stir in the flour and cook until just golden, about 1 minutes.  Slowly stir in half-and-half, 1 1/4 cups Parmesan, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Off heat, stir in the spinach and the reserved artichoke mixture.

Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes and serve.

This can be made ahead:  The dip can be prepared to the point prior to baking and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.  To heat, let the dip come to room temperature for 1 hour, them sprinkle with the cheese and bake, covered with foil for 10 minutes.  Remove the foil and continue baking until golden brown and heated through, about 15 minutes longer.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I must admit to not reading well...maybe it was the size of the print...whatever it was, I made an error and used all four tablespoons of butter when I browned the onion and artichokes....ooops....then I did it again when I used the entire measurement of the Parmesan when making the sauce...ooops....it still was wonderful!!

So, what motivated me?  It was actually The Secret Recipe Club and the blog I was assigned, Fit Mama Real Food.  The blog is Heather's combination of fitness and healthy eating...along with some parenting tips and home projects.  Heather is a fitness instructor and as such, has a passion for fitness.  Her passion naturally carries her to the kitchen when she works her special magic creating healthful recipes to share with her family.  Heather posted a Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip using Greek yogurt and low fat cream cheese as her base....and this was the motivation for me to dig out my notes, make some comparisons and prepare the dip!

Comments

  1. I'm probably the only person in America that hasn't tried this dip... yet! It always sounds good to me and yours looks great.
    PS-I thought calories don't count from here till the end of the year???:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never eaten this dip until someone brought it to a party. I can still remember how intriguing I thought it was. Great job and I love your presentation.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for this dip too. Despite all the fat, it tastes so amazing.. Great photo too

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds awesome Kathy and is going on the try list. I never worry about healthy when dips are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spinach and artichoke dip is always a good thing. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean. I've only had this dip a couple of times in my life, and it's so rich and addicting. Every holiday season, I swear I'm going to make this-- and then I don't. I have, yet, to make an ATK recipe that doesn't turn out perfectly. This looks so good, and I say "just go for it, and enjoy".

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite indulgences! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! A perfect appetizer for the holidays! Thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely one of those recipes I've got on my "must try" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't go wrong with spinach and artichoke dip. It's definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my all time favorite appetizers. Love the dishes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds SO good! I want to make both recipes, all in the interest of a taste-off of course. Maybe I'll even share some... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your recipe choice, Kate. We don't indulge in dishes like this very often, but the holidays are special and it's fun to have a special treat now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I do love a spinach artichoke hot dip and this sounds very good.
    Cathy is right this is special for a holiday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, this has been a favorite of ours too but I've never made it myself. This one looks amazing, leave it to America's Test Kitchen to come up with something great! And you! Thanks for doing the research!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Decadence! A very delicious dip! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definitely an improvement on this dip. Thanks for researching and sharing Kate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts