Another German Potato Salad!


When I started to make German Potato Salad for dinner, the question, "Why do you want to mess  with your recipe?" came up.  Well, I am not really messing with my recipe, I am trying out one that was originally posted by Debby at A Feast for the Eyes.  It is an authentic Bavaria style potato salad recipe made by her Mutti every morning at her delicatessen.

I was reminded that I had pinned this recipe when I saw the recent  post by Cathy at Wives with Knives.  It was a hit at Cathy's house and it was a hit at my house.  Mr. T must have told me at least four times how great the potato salad was!  That means, it is a repeat!

Like Cathy, I have a German  Potato Salad recipe that we like.  In fact, it is the one dish that my dad would ask me to make for him.  His family is from Bavaria also...his eyes would light up when I said I was making German Potato Salad.  The recipes are similar but one has cooked onions and one does not.  In my mind one is for fall and winter and the other is for spring and summer.  One is served as a hot side and the other at room temperature...both delicious!!

German Potato Salad

Serves 8

5 pounds Yukon Gold  potatoes
1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 pound bacon, cooked crisp, drained and chopped
1 Tbsp dill
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Japanese rice vinegar (optional)
1/2 to 1 cup vegetable oil, to taste (I used considerably less)

Cook the bacon until crispy.  Drain on paper towels.  Save about 2 Tbsp of the fat.  Finely chop the bacon and set aside.

Finely dice the onion, parsley and fresh dill (or use dried dill)

Prep all ingredients first, as once you slice the potatoes you need to add the dressing to them while they are warm so that it is better absorbed.

Boil the potatoes, skins  on, until fork  tender.  Drain and allow them  to cool slightly so that they can be picked up and held in a clean  tea towel.  Gently remove the skins.  Cut each potato in half and then slice them fairly thin (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch).  Place them into a large bowl.

Salt and pepper the potatoes and pour the vinegar over the warm potatoes.  Allow time for the potatoes to absorb the vinegar.  (You may wish to pour in half the vinegar and then adjust to get the right tang for your family.)

Add the bacon, onion and dill.   Add the reserved bacon fat and chicken stock.

Gently mix with a large spatula, being careful not to "mash" the potatoes.

Add about 1/2 cup vegetable oil.  (Go lightly and add as you feel it is needed.)

Add 1 tsp sugar, then additional salt and pepper, if needed.  Add the parsley.  Mix well.

Prepare in advance to allow the flavors to meld.  Serve at room temperature.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This is a lovely potato salad and without mayonnaise, it is great for summer picnics.  Thank you Debby for sharing your Mutti's recipe with us.....and, thank you Cathy, for reminding me to make it!!

Here are some other potato salad recipes that you might find fun.





Comments

  1. This caught my eye too, I'm gonna have to give it a try:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between you and Cathy I am making German Potato Salad this weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Cathy's post and have been wanting to make this ever since. I've never made German Potato Salad. I always stick to the Americanized mayo type. It just looks and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up on this kind of potato salad, it sounds wonderful and brings many sweet memories to me, it's funny how food can do that! I'm ready for a brat now and your yummy looking potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you like this recipe too, Kate. I know I will be making this many times this summer. I don't think I will ever make the mayo version again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, thanks so much for the blog love. I'm so happy that my Mutti's recipe was a success for you. She would be so impressed with how yours turned out. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts