Honey-Glazed Tarragon Carrots


I love carrots.  That pretty much says it.  I have loved them since I was a child.  My uncle used to tell me that eating carrots would turn my eyes blue...and, didn't I want to have eyes the same color as his?  Of course I did, he was my very favorite uncle and I would eat carrots forever to have blue eyes like his.  That was many years ago....and I smile remembering Uncle Earl.  And, I think I have eaten enough carrots by now to confidently share that eating carrots is not going to make your eyes turn blue!  I am living proof!

I am busy planning the menu for our next gourmet dinner and I was looking for a simple vegetable recipe when I came across Honey-Glazed Tarragon Carrots in Commander's Kitchen by Ti Adelaide Martin and Jamie Shannon.  The combination of honey and tarragon intrigued me...so, why wait for gourmet dinner?  I had just gotten about a pound and a half of carrots in the veggie box so it was really a no-brainer....try out the recipe!

I was not disappointed.  Besides adding a burst of color to the plate, there was a burst of flavors on the palate!  The combination of roasted carrots with honey and tarragon is a winner!  I like the idea that they are pretty much done in the oven so I didn't have to think much about them while I prepared the remainder of the meal.

Honey-Glazed Tarragon Carrots

3 pounds medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias 1/4 inch thick
8 Tbsp butter, diced (1 stick)
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup water
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Place the carrots in a large casserole that has a lid (and can be used on the stove top).  Add half the butter, half the honey, and the water, salt and pepper.  Stir and bake, covered, for 20 minutes or until the carrots begin to tenderize and turn bright orange.  Remove the cover and stir.  Bake 20 to 40 minutes more, until the carrots are done and most of the water has evaporated.  Remove the casserole from the oven and place it on top of the stove.

The carrots should be tender and be sitting in a creamy, syrupy glaze.  Adjust the consistency of the liquid, if necessary, by removing the carrots and cooking a bit more to thicken or by adding a little water to thin.  Return the carrots to the pan, add the remaining butter and honey over medium heat, then add the lemon juice and tarragon. Stir, adjust seasoning, and serve hot.

Note:  Dill may be substituted for the tarragon and if you desire, orange juice for the lemon juice.



Mmm, mmm, good!

I am sharing today at On the Menu Monday hosted by Yvonne at Stone Gable.  I am also sharing at Foodie Friday hosted by Diane at Simple Living and Eating.

Comments

  1. That should get carrot haters to eat these. I love tarragon, of course. This sounds delicious! (I'm a former cooked carrot hater, by the way and I'd eat these.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your carrots look beautiful and I know the taste is perfect. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very tasty veggie dish:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my mom had have made carrots this way when I was a child I would have loved carrots cooked as well as raw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love carrots too:-)
    We have a few similar recipes but surely not this one Kate..thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the story about your uncle...love family stories. What a wonderful dish of carrots you have prepared, they look very dressed up and I think I could even get my husband to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting to try some more vegetable recipes and this one sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely have to try carrots and honey. It seems to be so good !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrots are one of my favorite vegetables and I'm going to try this recipe as soon as I get to the store to buy the carrots. Love the honey-tarragon glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does look good.
    I am beginning to like carrots.
    As a child it was a family joke how much I hated cooked carrots.
    I think my mother didn't know how to prepare them. I could eat these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting! My hubby loves cooked carrots, his favorite veggie and I abhor them cooked. But, actually, this recipe just might convert me! I love honey and tarragon so will be trying this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your carrots sound amazing. If you have the time today please bring them by my foodie friday party. Love the tarragon so inventive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts