Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Chiles featuring Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans


If you have never tried heirloom beans, put it on your list!  My daughter made the discovery and bean dishes haven't tasted the same since!  The beans pictured above are Rancho Gordo Vaquero Heirloom Beans.  There are numerous varieties of heirloom beans and they all have a great flavor and texture.


I used the Vaquero beans in this delicious Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Chiles.  There were a few changes made to the recipe and I (oops) forgot to puree two cups as directed...oh well, next time.   It was still delicious!


Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Chiles
adapted from Epicurious.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium-size red onions, chopped
2 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 16-ounce package dried black beans (I used Rancho Gordo Vaquero Beans.)
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles (I used two chiles.)
7 cups hot water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup salsa (I used Mrs. Renfro's Chipotle Corn Salsa.)

Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; stir 1 minute. 

Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beans and chipotles, then 7 cups hot water. Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 6 hours. 

Transfer 2 cups bean mixture to blender; puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining soup in slow cooker. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro and serve.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


 I am participating in Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Kitchen and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. I love beans and those are gorgeous! Sounds like a great soup too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks so wonderful. I love beans this type of soup. You have motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never seen been that look like that...they are so pretty!
    this will be a great recipe for our daniel fast that begins Sunday.
    Will have to leave off the sour cream, but no problem there.
    thanks...going try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this brand with their kitschy labels. And, this soup looks delicious (love me some chipotles, now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a bean fan, and the bonus is that they are so healthy (except fried in lard, of course). These are beautiful to look at! I've had these beans on my radar for the longest time. Did you order them online, or find a local place to buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,
    I just love the different types of heirloom beans, and your recipe looks like it would be full of flavor. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a soup nut Kate and this one sounds fantastic! I will definitely try the heirloom beans, thanks for the tip! I love learning about new stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks good Kathy and I like to try various heirloom beans cranberry's are a big favorite. Looking around the internet, I've found several sellers of heirloom beans - Purcell Mountain Farms has a really big selection. Bev likes to stay with her southern Pintos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a perfect soup for this time of year, but I don't know if I can find those beans locally. I'll have to try it with regular black beans (which I love!!!).

    I can't wait to eat this myself. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts