Spiced Cranberry Chutney with Oranges


As I mentioned earlier I have a tendency to mess with the basic Thanksgiving menu through the cranberry!  I usually have two or three choices on the menu.  This year I tried a new simple recipe and I am bringing back a chutney that I haven't made in a long time.

I have always loved chutneys and I like this one because it is not extreme in its flavors.  It is a perfect balance of sweet and tart.  The recipe makes five cups and since I do not need five cups of chutney, I shared with my neighbor so they will also be enjoying this tasty dish on Thanksgiving.



Spiced Cranberry Chutney with Oranges
Bon Appetit, November 1999

Makes 5 cups

2 1/4 cups packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cranberry juice (I used Cranberry Juice Cocktail.)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 12 oz packages cranberries
2 Tbsp orange zest
2 oranges, peeled, white pith removed, sectioned
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup dried apricots

Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan.  Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Increase heat, bring to a boil.  Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is thick.  Stir occasionally, about 40 minutes.  Cool completely.

Can be made three days ahead.  Cover and chill.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This is a great addition to your holiday menu!

I am participating in Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday!

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Kate..this sounds and looks super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! I also love chutney and this would be really good with a toast in the morning.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure sounds good, any time I see vinegar it catches my eye! Love your pretty footed dish too. Happy Thanksgiving Kate-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cranberry sauce is beautiful! Just stopping by to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving, and greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also made a cranberry chutney for Thanksgiving. It was delicious served with cream cheese for an appetizer. Your recipe sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts