Orange Maple Cranberry Sauce


I have strict orders not to mess with the Thanksgiving menu.  A basic traditional menu is what is appreciated at our house.  You know the basics:  turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce... I always make the basic menu but I wouldn't be me if I didn't throw in a few new side dishes along the way.

Nobody ever seems to mind if I "mess" with the cranberry sauce...such a little berry with such great flavor!  Over the years I have made so many different  types of sauces and of course a few cranberry chutneys and a conserve or two....and what is a conserve?  It is preserving fruits with sugar or a mixture of several fruits cooked to jam-like consistency with sugar and often garnished with nuts and raisins.  I guess you could say that I really mess with the cranberry sauce! 

I wanted to add a simple recipe for cranberry sauce to the menu, so I am trying, yet again, a new recipe!  This is one that I saw in this month's Fine Cooking Magazine, October/November 2012.  Fine Cooking is my very favorite cooking magazine. I was pleased that I could make the cranberry sauce in advance and I am not disappointed!



Orange-Maple Cranberry Sauce
Fine Cooking, October/November 2012

1 12 oz. package of fresh or frozen cranberries (picked over and rinsed)
1 cup PURE maple syrup
1 medium orange, finely grated to yield 1 tsp zest, then squeezed to yield 1/3 cup 

Combine the cranberries, maple syrup, and orange juice in a 3 quart saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, just until the cranberries burst, about 5 minutes.  

Remove from the heat, stir in the zest, and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.  (The sauce will thicken as it cools.  It may be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)

I have been sampling all morning...it is really tasty!  You won't be sorry if you add this simple cranberry sauce to your menu!

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Comments

  1. Sounds easy and delish. And, I love your photo; great composition. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing and looks delicious. Crave worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful, the maple is something I hadn't thought of. You 'messed' with this just enough to make it better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and yummy! I may have to add cranberry sauce to my menu after all! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooooooove Fine Cooking. I recently bought an iPad, and their digital issues are beautiful to look at. I don't mess too much with the traditionals, and I love cranberry sauce. This is a nice twist on a classic. How'd your gravy turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help myself. I mess with the cranberry sauce and you're right, no one seems to mind. I'm betting the maple syrup gave it fantastic flavor.

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet the maple makes this extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummmm! Love cranberry anything with Thanksgiving dinner. I have made a cranberry chutney for this year's event and will serve it with cream cheese and crackers earlier in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just brought cranberry sauce up a few notches; love your version,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts