A Pacific Northwest Treat

On a recent trip to the Pacific Northwest to visit my daughter and son-in-law we ventured into the farmers’ market. I saw so many beautiful flowers and vegetables....row after row of tulips and daffodils! Unique to me, were the fiddlehead fern. I had no idea what to do with them and left them at the market! Our upcoming feast would be fine without them, I was certain. We love to cook together and had planned a wonderful meal for the next day. My daughter invited some friends who were bringing something special. My son-in-law made a wonderful pork loin stuffed with peaches. It is a Jamie Oliver recipe. It was delicious, a definite repeat!

I had just purchased the cookbook, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day by Hertzberg and Francois. Never having actually made my own bread before, this intrigued me. My mom always made bread and sticky buns. I love the smell of the baking bread and was anxious to try this new approach to bread making.It was simple and I needed simple on my first attempt. It was also a great success!



The crust was crunchy and the crumb was soft and delicious. The best part is that one batch makes four loaves of bread. You can have fresh delicious bread quickly and easily! I must admit that a good oven is helpful. A and K are now the proud owners of an awesome new r
ange and oven.

Our dinner guests surprised us with Fiddlehead Fern! I have to admit, I was a skeptic but I really enjoyed the crunchy and delicious flavor! They were sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic and Pancetta then sprinkled with bok choy flowers.



It was a great trip. I am ready to go again!



Comments

Popular Posts