Sour Cream Cake with Blackberries and Blueberries, Revisited

I seem to be revisiting quite a few recipes of late.  As the summer berries start to appear in our weekly produce box, my mind jumped back to when I first started blogging.  I remembered that Ann, Thibeault's Table had posted a raspberry cake and that I had made it substituting fresh blackberries and blueberries.  It was so delicious and moist that I broke my vow about sweets and made the cake!




Sour Cream Cake
with Blackberries and Blueberries
(Adaptation by Thibeault's Table; original recipe at Sarea.vox.com)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch Springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the parchment.

2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 or 2 tsp vanilla extract, to taste.
1 to 1 1/2 pints of fresh blackberries and blueberries

Mix sour cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and oil together.

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda,

Mix the flour mixture into the sour cream mixture.

Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. (You may need to smooth it out over the bottom.)

Sprinkle with half of the berries. Spoon the remaining batter over the berries. Sprinkle the remaining berries over the top.

Bake for approximately 45-60 minutes. Test cake for doneness with a tester or a toothpick.

Let rest for 10 minutes on a cake rack. Turn cake out of pan, peel off parchment and turn cake up right.


Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup (4 oz) cream cheese
1 to 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat together and drizzle over cake while it is still warm.


PRINTABLE RECIPE




Yum!  If you have time, stop by Thibeault's Table.  Ann always has wonderful recipes to share!

I am participating in Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage, Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum, Sweet Tooth Friday hosted by Alli at Alli and Son, and Fat Camp Friday hosted by Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney.

Comments

  1. A beautiful cake! I really do think adding sour cream makes cakes extra special:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this looks absolutely delicious. I wish I had an occasion coming up where I could make this bad boy but unfortunately if I made it for myself, I would eat it all and gain a third thigh. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful..you can always count on Ann:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Not only does this look so good it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Would love to have you share at Turning the Table Thursday...stop by every Thursday to link up!

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake is so beautiful! I love how you decorated it with the cream cheese frosting.

    I'm hosting a weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday, I hope you'll stop by and share your recipe. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/23/maple-bacon-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I like most is that the icing is in a lattoce pattern. You still get all the tasty goodness but not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds so delicious! I love the lattice idea for the cream cheese frosting...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking cake! The lattice icing pattern is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMM! I really shouldn't surf the Internet when I am hungry! Thanks for sharing this delicious-looking cake. I'm sure it tastes even better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way the cake looks and sounds... lovely berries with cake... can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blueberries and blackberries are in peak season. This is a wonderful time to share this cake recipe. I am loving it. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate,
    This is a beautiful cake! We have a great blackberry harvest right now and this cake will be a perfect recipe for us to try. Your presentation is excellent. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and I look forward to seeing you again real soon. Hope you have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, I just did something with blackberries this week too . . . they're just so fresh right now! I'm bookmarking this recipe due to my love affair of blueberry or blackberry anything! YUM! I'd like to invite you to share it over on my weekend foodie blog hop: Fresh Food Friday or Seasonal Saturday. It's a perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cake! Love berries in cakes and your recipe sounds delicious and wonderful. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful blog you have - I found you through Shug, Steps of Faith. this looks like an amazing cake - I'm signing up to follow you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you iced your cake. I hope you'll come by and share it with Sweets for a Saturday. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cake looks so lovely with beautiful patterned icing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love sour cream cakes, Kate. They are always so moist. Your lattice frosting looks wonderful on top!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful cake. I posted many of my favorite recipes when I first started blogging and I'm sure most readers never see them. It's fun to resurrect one from the past, especially a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. THE CAKE LOOKS LOVELY WITH BEAUTIFUL,LOVE SOUR CREAM CAKES,HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an exquisite looking cake! It just looks and sounds so yummy. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kate, thanks so much for stopping over and sharing this outstanding fruit-filled, seasonally fresh cake at Fresh Food Friday last week. It's so awesome that I featured it today on this week's edition and hope that you can stop by, check it out, and if possible, add another great recipe of any date. Thanks again, and I hope you have a superb weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts