Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Lately, I haven't been too excited about cooking.  The day slips by and I haven't taken anything from the freezer and am left with trying to figure out what to put together.  One of us may not be hungry, but the other is!  This night I had defrosted some chicken breasts but I didn't want to do the usual...you know the usual: chicken, vegetable and salad...the routine...

I was in the mood for pasta and I had run across a basic sauce recipe written on a slip of paper.  I knew I didn't have a few of the ingredients but I opened the pantry door and figured if Rachel can reach in a grab a few things and make a meal, I could too!

The Kitchen Gnome seasoned the chicken breasts and headed for the grill.  He is King of the Grill and always does a great job!



Grilled Chicken and Pasta 
with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

1 (8 oz.) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped, oil reserved
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
2/3 cup white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
8 oz pasta (I used bow-tie)
Basil Chiffonade:  8 basil leaves, stacked, rolled, finely cut across the roll to make a chiffonade.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat 2 Tbsp reserved oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.

Add the chopped onion and saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and saute for one minute more.

Add the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Slowly add the wine and sun-dried tomatoes.  Simmer until the liquid reduces by half, approximately 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook al dente.  Drain the pasta reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.

Add the drained pasta to the tomato mixture.  Toss to coat adding reserved pasta water to moisten.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Place on a platter with sliced chicken breasts.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and the chiffonade.  Serve.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This was quick and easy and trying not to sound like Rachel...I am sure it was ready in under thirty minutes!  The leftovers disappeared the next day.

I am sending this to Michael at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday and to Miranda at Mangoes and Chutney for Fat Camp Friday, and Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great meal! Looks pretty too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a delicious and colourful meal. Great use of cupboard ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delish! Congrats on using what you had and it turned out so well. I'll keep this for the next time I can't figure out what to fix! many blessings. marlis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the farmers market this morning and am inspired to be more creative in the kitchen. It always give me a much needed push in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this...they look irresistable n tasty..!
    first time here...gorgeous space you have with rich collection of recipes..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..

    Tasty Appetite
    Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful dish! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this looks fabulous and healthy.
    It also looks like summer!

    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura

    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I'm from Philippines! I just started blogging about food. Please follow me and I'll follow you too! :) http://eaternalfeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a lot of us lose interest in cooking during the summer....so many other things to do! I love this recipe Kate, because we all have the ingredients right there in our pantries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it could sound tastier:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful! That's what cooking is all about. Using things you have and winging it. I have never seen a chef with a cookbook in front of her/him, they know by instinct what to do. Taste and adjust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dish, Kate. You have really fancied up a regular old chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful! Great summer meal:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum! This looks delicious! I am so happy I stumbled across your blog! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would come check out my blog and follow me too!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kate,
    This is a fabulous dish! This combination of flavor in the recipe will put it over the top. Great presentation! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts