Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon and Salad with Ginger-Miso Dressing....It's About Eating Healthy! - Blogger CLUE

Have you noticed that the month of January seems to have two themes going on.  One is organization.  Every January we see multiple articles pertaining to how we can organize our lives. We also see products. Usually those are containers in varying sizes.  Some of them have little cubbies in them, some have adjustable spacers for the cubbies and some let you design your own container using various sizes of spacers...sort of like, make your own cubbies.  When we finish using all of those containers the idea is that we should have organized kitchen pantries, spice cabinets, cupboards, and know where all of our random lids, and utensils/tools are located.  Since I am one of those folks who likes to organize, January is a fun month for me!

The other theme that is evident is being healthy.  That means that not only do we drag ourselves to the gym, and make our way outside to take a brisk 30 minute walk, but we also go to the market and shop healthy and subsequently prepare healthy meals.  And, since it is the beginning of the year, the idea is to mend our ways, improve our attitudes, and care about ourselves and how we treat our mind and body, not just in January but all year long.  With that in mind it seems fitting that the theme for Blogger CLUE should be "Healthy Eating"!



Blogger CLUE is a recipe exchange group.  Each month members are assigned a blog, a theme and challenged to find a recipe that meets the theme!  How fun is that?!  I love a challenge...I love exploring new blogs....I love to cook....and, I do love to eat new things.  I was so excited to get my first blog assignment for the new year.

It is with pleasure that I share Palatable Pastime with you and the two very healthy and very tasty recipes I selected to prepare. While Sue has only been blogging since 2013, she has quite an extensive recipe index of simple and sophisticated dishes.  Each and every dish has been prepared for her family, as Sue says, "real people and real food!"

There were so many recipes to choose from.  I eyed the Greek Omelet Roll with Spinach and the Chicken Roulades with Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Tepanade  but when I hit the seafood section of her index, I knew I had hit paydirt....a place where I would find recipe after recipe that was healthy and tasty.  Asian Cuisine is one of Sue's favorites so I narrowed the field just a bit more.  When I read the post for Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon, there was no question in my mind...I was making my grocery list and heading off to the store and lucky for me, there was also a salad with Ginger-Miso Dressing that was calling to me.

The salmon may be prepared with the skin in tact or without. We prepare salmon on the grill frequently and prefer to use a salmon fillet with the skin in tact.


Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon
adapted from Palatable Pastime

1 pound salmon fillet, skin in tact
1-2 scallions, sliced

Marinade
2 Tbsp lime ponzu sauce
1 Tbsp rice wine
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Whisk together the marinade ingredients and pour over the salmon fillets.  Allow the salmon to marinate for thirty minutes.  Drain the marinade and reserve it.

Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan.  Over low heat, reduce the marinade to a syrupy consistency.  Stir constantly.  It should coat the back of a teaspoon when ready.

Place the salmon on a piece of heavy duty foil which serves as the "pan".  Grill the salmon on medium.  If there is no lid on the barbecue, tent the salmon with a piece of foil.  About half way through, if needed, drain the liquid by punching a hole or two in the foil.  The salmon is done when the thickest part of the salmon will flake.

(If your filet is skinless, then the salmon should be cooked 3-4 minutes per side, or to the level of doneness that you desire.)

Serve the salmon drizzled with the sauce reduction and garnish with sliced scallions.

NOTE:  Ponzu is a type of soy sauce with citrus flavoring, in this case, lime.  I found it in both our grocery store and an Asian Market.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


We loved the salmon!  It was so fresh and flavorful, simple and healthy!  In addition to steamed broccoli, we had a wonderful Salad with Ginger-Miso Dressing!  I recognized the dressing immediately as the one we get on the salad when we go for sushi...LOVE!


Salad with Ginger-Miso Dressing
adapted from Palatable Pastime

Salad
Iceberg lettuce
Shredded carrots
Option:  Additional ingredients that you might prefer:  chopped tomato, sliced cucumber, sliced mushrooms

In individual bowls place the lettuce.  Top with shredded carrots.

Dressing
2 Tbsp white miso
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
4 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.  Serve over the individual salads.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

These two dishes definitely belong on the rotation.  It was a super flavorful and healthy meal!  Thank you Sue for sharing!

It's January....it is time for healthy eating...just ignore the stores pushing all of that Valentine candy out onto the shelf.   Ignore the temptation and stay focused on health!

Below are more healthy recipes from other members of Blogger CLUE!


Comments

  1. That looks and sounds delicious - I love broccoli! Earmarking this for the next time I make salmon. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful salmon! And that dressing looks just like what you get at a sushi restaurant, I'll have to give both of these recipes a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWO fantastic recipes! Perfect for our menu anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good salmon recipe and this sounds heavenly. And surrounded with my favorite vegetable, I must make this one soon. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking presentation for your healthy and tasty sounding dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a woman after my own heart. I love dishes with Asian flavors (which pretty much means anything with ginger in it). :) The salmon and salad both look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, Despite the fact that this is a healthy dish, (not exactly my dining specialty), it looks and sounds great! Love broccoli and salmon! As an option, I'd enlarge the salad and some of that salmon to it... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just making ready to type, "What's ponzu sauce?" when you told us! This recipe sounds delicious. No wonder you trudged across the wilds of town to the Asian Market. Thanks, Kathy. I can see this one in our Oregon line-up. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it...it was delicious as was the salad. White Miso was only at the Asian Market.....

      Delete
  9. Wooohoooo, what a great looking recipe and just in time for Fish Friday Foodies which is starting in a couple of days!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! The perfect dishes here!! My son adores salmon, but my recipe repertoire is somewhat limited. I totally trying this one on him next time he comes home. The salad?? That'll make the menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dish, Kate. I forgot about the organizational resolution that everyone makes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had some amazing recipes to chose from, Kate. Like everybody else, I'm watching my calories this month and I can't resist a good salmon recipe. Thanks for sharing this one. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the salmon and salad Kate. You are right. January is all about making the best of a new year. Wish we could maintain the momentum all year, but by July my pantry is a mess and I am eating too much potato salad, spaghetti and bread. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love salmon and could eat it a few times a week. Now I have a wonderful new recipe. Great choice for this month's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That marinade looks so great! Not only does it look perfect for the salmon but think of the possibilities. Chicken, shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a delicious and very flavorful dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts