Cowboy Vegetable Scramble, Blogger CLUE

It is April....already.  School will be out in eight weeks, the sun will be baking us with its rays and there will be nary a breeze to enjoy.  Geez, the things I have to look forward to...  Sounds pretty depressing, doesn't it?  But, let's enjoy today...it is breezy, there is a possibility of rain and the sun's rays are a welcome warmth.  That sounds like a much better picture and there is a lot to look forward to...

Today, I am looking forward to the Blogger C.L.U.E. reveal day.  It is the second time that I have participated in this group's recipe exchange.  It is so much fun.  So, here's the deal:  1) a blog is assigned; 2) a clue is provided, 3) find a recipe that matches the clue!  This was dreamed up by Liz at That Skinny Kid Can Bake.  Thank you Liz and thank you fellow C.L.U.E. bloggers for sharing some rock solid recipes!

I was so excited to be assigned Making Miracles authored by Rebekah.  I loved her words to live by:

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
-Albert Einstein

I quickly started sifting through Rebekah's blog.  I landed on a wonderful beverage...a Red Wine Berry Cooler, very sangria-esque she says...I was sold.  But then, I found a recipes for Baked Potato Skins and Pretzel Bites with Mustard.  Those would go with the Sangria.   But wait, I forgot all about the clue....I needed a vegetable recipe!  Sadly, no wine for me today, no pretzels either.  Back to the recipe index......Then, I found it, Cowboy Scramble.  We had just gotten home from vacation and I hadn't done any major grocery shopping.  This matched the clue and the available groceries!

I made a few adjustments as I was only serving two and added two vegetables that were in the frig in need of a recipe.  We usually do not fry in a large amount of oil so we used our method for preparing the potatoes.  I guess this could become a scramble but I took Rebekah's suggestion and added a fried egg on top!


Cowboy Vegetable Scramble
adapted from Rebekah at Making Miracles

Yield 2 servings

5-6 small white or red potatoes
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp hot sauce (optional), not Tabasco
1/4 - 1/2 small onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 handful of spinach, trimmed and sliced in strips
4 thin tomato slices
1/3 - 1/2 lb. ground sausage
1 - 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs, fried
1 Tbsp chopped parsley (optional)

Place the potatoes in a skillet and cover with water.  Bring it to a simmer.  Cook until the potatoes are just starting to become soft.  Drain.  Add one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil, and hot sauce, if desired.  Continue cooking the potatoes on medium-low heat until soft.  Stirring occasionally.  When soft, remove from heat and set aside.

In another skillet, combine crumbled sausage, onion and pepper and cook until it is no longer pink. Halfway through add the mushrooms and toward the end stir in the spinach.  When the spinach is wilted, add the potatoes and stir to mix. Wipe out the potato skillet.

Top the mixture with the desired amount of cheese.  Cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Allow to sit for five minutes to let the cheese melt and while you fry the eggs in the skillet used for the potatoes.

Dish up the potatoes, sausage and veggies.  Top with two slices of tomato and place the egg on top.
Sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve!



Rebekah, thank you for the great recipe!  We were so jetlagged after our travel, and with our inner clocks so very confused, we had breakfast for dinner.  It was quite filling..it is sure to become a family favorite!  Delicious.  I am still going to make the Red Wine Berry Cooler to go with the potato skins and the pretzel bites!



Join me as I check out the April recipes from fellow C.L.U.E. participants!

Comments

  1. Oh I love your veggie-fied version of this recipe!! That definitely sounds like the way I would enjoy that dish best; my boys are all about the meat and cheese, but I love the big slices of fresh tomatoes you added on top. Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd had this for breakfast this morning!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely eat this for dinner! Delicious pick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great breakfast, brunch or light supper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brinner is always a winner in this household!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious Kathy and you know I like anything topped with a couple of fried eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for new egg recipe ideas and this is one I can't wait to try!! great choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what it's like to be jet lagged after a trip and boy, what a nice meal this must have made after your journey home. An egg on top makes everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just love it when you have the ingredients that match up to a recipe? And this one is a winner in my book.... love all those veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A healthy breakfast for sure. My hubby would flip for this and I will have to make it for him really soon. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's my kind of breakfast! And the Blogger Clue looks like such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much deliciousness going on here! And I support the comments above- an egg on top really does make everything better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about. I adore breakfast (for dinner too!) and would definitely dive into this with both feet. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect, feeling jet lagged, post traveling meal, for breakfast or lunch or whatever we are calling that thing at 3 a.m. when we are suddenly wide awake and hungry. (As you can tell, I am no stranger to jet lag. :)) Great stuff, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love brinner! Great choice! I'm definitely going to have to try the Red Wine Berry Cooler soon! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the veggies in this. It almost reminds me of my favorite dish at my favorite breakfast spot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great breakfast or brinner! Oh, and that Red Wine Berry Cooler sounds fab. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Rebekah's blog. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts