Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies


Off to the beach!  Sometimes it gets so warm in the valley that we have to take a trip to the beach to feel the cool breezes and to listen to the crashing waves!  Packing up goodies for a wine picnic and taking along a snack or two makes the trip special!  We enjoy meeting friends, sharing new wineries with one another and taking advantage of the wonderful picnic areas at the wineries!

I had been looking for an excuse to make these wonderful cookies and this seemed like just the occasion.  I saw the recipe on Chris's blog, The Cafe Sucre Farine. Spending time on her blog is delightful..she shares wonderful recipes, her adorable granddaughters and great tips.   You won't want to miss visiting her.....with just one look, I knew that I would have to treat us to cookies!

The cookies are a wonderfully chewy sugar cookie and with lots of chocolate!!  I wasn't certain if they were going to make it with us to the coast....that are that good...

Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies
adapted from The Cafe Sucre Farine

Yield:  30 (4-inch cookies)
Preheat oven:  350° F.

1/2 cup raw sugar (Turbinado), set aside
1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
14 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Place rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place the raw sugar in a small bowl and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder.  Set aside.

Place 10 Tablespoons of butter in a bowl that is microwave-safe.  Microwave until melted, about 1 minutes.  Remove from the microwave and stir in the remaining 4 Tablespoons of butter, which has been cut into small chunks, until melted.  (This process helps to cool down the butter.  It should be from 90-95 degrees within five minutes.  Warm!  Not hot!)

Place the butter in the bowl of a mixer.  Whisk the brown sugar, vanilla, and salt into the butter until no lumps remain, scrape down the bowl as necessary.  Whisk in the egg and yolk until smooth.  Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time, until just combined.  Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Using a scoop, work with about 2 Tablespoons of dough to form balls.  Roll the ball into the raw sugar (Turbinado) and place onto the baking sheet.  Use the bottom of a measuring cup or a glass to flatten the cookies slightly, to about 2-inches in diameter.  Sprinkle each cookie with raw sugar.

Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies are slightly puffy and the edges have begun to set.  They will have tiny cracks running around the edges and on the top, about 9 minutes. (Do not overbake.  The cookies will look slightly underdone in the cracks.)  If you are not using a convection oven you should turn the sheets midway through baking.

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I have been trying not to eat sweets...as you can tell from recent posts, I have cut back on sugar!! I had to splurge with these little guys....After eating one cookie I mentioned to my daughter that I had my sugar fix for at least a month.  They are so good.....and yes, I ate more than one.   I even shared with the daughter, neighbors and friends....  I can hardly wait to find an excuse to make these again.

I am sharing today at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm and Foodie Friday hosted by Simple Living and Eating.




Comments

  1. Love your fun beachy photo shoot and I'm sure the cookies are amazing:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your beachy photo shoot. Double chocolate - count me in!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris has an awesome site. I remember these. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had one of these cookies now... they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great, Kathy. Remind me of my mom's brownies! xoA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate anything is a huge hit in our family, so I'm adding these to our list. My kids will love them. Simple and delicious! Pinned and tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies look amazing! Totally pinning, and can't wait to try them!
    ~April
    (visiting from Foodie Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kate, have WONDERFUL time! Thanks so much for your sweet words, I really appreciate them. Your cookies make me want to make them again right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, you and Cathy are tempting me with chocolate.
    Your cookies look just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies are truly Beachy. I hope you had a fun trip. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your recipe is being featured on foodie friday. I will be pinning and tweeting it this week too: http://www.simplelivingeating.com/2014/08/pork-chops-with-aleppo-rub-foodie-friday.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts