Gruyère, Asparagus and Bacon Quiche


There isn't much quiche made in this house.  We are a house divided...I enjoy it and find it a great way to use up vegetables and bits of leftover this and that.  Mr T., nope, don't like it, don't make it.  Okay, I get it.  I am alone in my love of quiche.   That said, I had decided that I would make quiche to take to my friend.  She had recently undergone knee replacement surgery and we were going to have lunch.

As I considered what was in the refrigerator and what came in the veggie box, I decided that I would use asparagus, fresh spinach, bacon, gruyère and a little Fontina.  I also had two pie crusts in the freezer that needed to be used so I decided to save trying the wonderful puff pastry crust that I had seen, for another time.

While researching tips on making quiche, I visited Chris's blog, Café Sucré Farine, she has some great pointers.  I can always count of Chris for great advice and of course, wonderful recipes....If you are thinking of making a quiche, or anything, for that matter, pay her a visit.

Gruyère, Asparagus and Bacon Quiche

Two pastry pie shells (I used Marie Callender's Pastry Pie Shells)
8 slices thick-cut bacon slices, chopped, cooked until crisp, drained
1 shallot, minced
2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
12 spears asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
6 eggs
2 cups half and half
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Place the asparagus in a microwave-safe container along with one tablespoon of water.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.  Remove from the microwave, rinse with cool water and drain well.  Set aside to cool.

In a frying pan, oven medium heat, cook the chopped bacon until crisp, about 7-9 minutes.  Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels, to drain.  Reserve a little over one tablespoon of the fat, add the shallot and cook until softened, about one minute.  Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, white pepper, nutmeg.  Add the spinach mixture to the bowl and stir.

Divide and place the asparagus and bacon on the bottom of the unbaked pastry shells.  Sprinkle the cheeses over the asparagus and bacon.  Pour in the spinach mixture.

Place the quiche(s) on a baking sheet.  Bake until the filling is set and the crust is golden, 35-40 minutes. (The quiche is done when the filling doesn't "jiggle" when shaken.)  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool briefly.  Cut the quiche into wedges and serve warm.

Note:  Quiche may be prepared the day before, cooled, covered with foil and refrigerated.  To reheat, remove the foil and place on a baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated 325° F. oven until heated through, approximately 40 minutes.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Since I don't make if very often, I decided to make two so that we would also have it for dinner.  I am happy that I did.....I do believe Mr. T. was surprised and has changed his mind about quiche! He said that it was the best quiche that he has eaten.....truly, my previous favorite quiche, made with ham and swiss cheese, has been replaced!








Comments

  1. You can send what Mr. T won't eat to my Colorado kitchen. :) I think this sounds fantastic! Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination sounds delicious and we BOTH like quiche. Mr. T is missing out...
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, Chris has great advice and I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris' blog The Café Sucré Farine ist one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks and sounds delicious Kathy and since I like most things eggs, I'm a quiche fan - glad Terry gave it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, Mmmm, I have everything in the fridge I need to make this yummy quiche. Even a Marie Callender pie shell in the freezer. A slice with a salad is my idea of a perfect meal and I love that it reheats well the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am hungry for a quiche. Your salad looks good too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts