Mesquite Grilled Halibut Tacos


Last week  Mr. T. grilled the most wonderful halibut fillet.  It was so flavorful, moist and flaked beautifully.  Since there are only the two of us, I had leftovers.  As I thought about how I could use the pieces that were left, I remembered our favorite Smoked Albacore Tacos that we get when we go to the coast.  We never miss a trip to Ruddell's Smokehouse in Cayucos for lunch..I am always saying that I should make them when we get home, yet I never seem to get to it.  With that gorgeous halibut, the tacos beckoned!

The Smokehouse tacos are different from most fish tacos in that they are topped with a mini lettuce salad...with tomato, celery, apple, and a little drizzle of sauce that has a hint of cumin...I think I nailed it!  There were smiles around the table....We had seconds.

Mesquite Grilled Halibut Tacos

1 pound smoked or grilled fish, shredded or cut into small one inch pieces
1 package flour tortillas

Shredded leaf lettuce
1 tomato, chopped, small (I quartered some cherry tomatoes.)
1 celery rib, chopped small
1 apple, cored and chopped small

Sauce
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp (pinch) chipotle chili powder
Juice of one half lime
Salt to taste

Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, and seasonings in a small bowl.  Taste and adjust seasonings as preferred.  Chill.

Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in a 200° F. oven.

Shred or cut the smoked fish.

Fill the taco shells in halves.  On one side place the shredded fish.  On the other side place the lettuce, tomato, celery and apple.  Drizzle the lettuce mixture with the sauce.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

Enjoy!!


Any smoked or grilled fish should work  fine.  We love the smoked albacore and the grilled halibut. This was a great way to use up the leftovers!

(The Smokehouse does have a recipe on their web page but it is not the one that we order...)

Here is the original....




Comments

  1. Look at the view:)
    When restos have a view..the food tastes better.
    The halibut looks great in these Kate~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I love Ruddell's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these look wonderful Kate, and such a pretty presentation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! Love fish tacos, especially with halibut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so good!! The apple is a great addition and the sauce was perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I am not a fish eater, I do like fish tacos once in a while! These look great, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, major yum. I love fish tacos and I am sure the smokey flavor makes them even more wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always nice when you nail it and from here it looks and sounds like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh does this ever sound good, but girl i feel like you must be filthy rich! halibut costs so much that i treat it like gold... to use for tacos scares me, like i was expecting to win the lottery the next day! i would LOVE this, but i can't imagine not keeping it like the expensive filet i bought, so to be honest i am envious of your fabulous way to expand your meals! i think this is the only food i treat with reverence, funny isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think yours looks even better than the original! I love fish tacos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts