Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting


I am back to tackle another  Dessert Challenge!  I noticed that last month Mr. T. had no difficulty eating up all of the Sweet Almond Pastry so I am certain he will gobble up these moist and tasty cupcakes!  

The Dessert Challenge is hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain.  It is a personal challenge and there is an option of playing along or taking a break...I like the flexibility.  I like baking something I have never tried.  I like eating all of it...oops, that is still a no-no, I will not eat all of it...somebody else will.  (If I keep saying it maybe it will happen!)

This month's challenge was to make something that used caramel and pretzels.  With a smile on my face I went on a merry search...I mean what could be better than a pot of caramel  alongside a pretzel unless it is the pot of caramel without the pretzel! 


I searched and searched not quite certain what I wanted to do...I had it down to cupcakes or a marvelous tart recipe that my daughter found.  If I hadn't just finished battling jet lag and  a cold, I would have made the tart but the energy level has been a bit low...so, Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting won.



I must admit to being a bit nervous about the cake.  The recipe suggested adding an instant pudding mix with I know makes the cake super moist...but the amount of liquid seemed a bit out of proportion from what I have done in the past. I usually have more liquid...but, I rolled with it.  I do have to admit to adding some chocolate chips and a splash of  Kahlua...just because.


Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes 

with Salted Caramel Frosting

Yield:  20-22 cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 small box Chocolate Fudge Instant Pudding Mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk (I didn't have any milk so I used half and half.)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips (dusted with flour)

Salted Caramel Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
2-3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
20 pretzel twists, whole or crushed

Make the frosting first:  Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.  Once melte, add brown sugar and heavy cream.  Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Add salt.  Allow to bubble for exactly 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Beat in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.

Make the cupcakes:  Preheat over to 350 degrees F.  Line two 12-cupcake pans with liners.  Set aside.  

Using a mixer beat together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk, sour cream on medium.speed.  Beat until well combined about 2 minutes.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Scoop the batter evenly into cupcake liners.  I used 1/4-1/3 cup per liner.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove the cupcakes from the tin to a rack to cool.

Once cool, frost the cupcakes with the salted caramel frosting and garnish with a pretzel twist or crushed pretzels.

PRINTABLE RECIPE




I must tell you about my frosting challenge.  While the frosting was cooling, it was also setting up...oh dear...what to do.  I moved faster!   As I beat in the powdered sugar it got very thick.  A little half and half saved the day...and I was able to get it to a consistency that would work. I have made caramel with another recipe that I would try next time. 

All and all, very nice cupcakes.  Mr. T. enjoyed every bite and was going back for more...

I am also sharing at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.   



Comments

  1. They must be moist with the sour cream and the pud:) Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look tasty! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look divine. Gotta try that frosting recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How yummy!! I adore cupcakes. Thanks for bringing these to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The frosting must be amazing!!!! Will give this a try asap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, your cupcakes look and sound totally divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why Mr. T went back for more! I can imagine how delicious these are and want to try the recipe! It's all about that frosting, yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now these would thrill my whole family! I could eat a bowl of your icing alone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. T has good taste and so do you! Love your additional splash of Kahlua into the cake batter. Good to know, too,that half and half works well as a milk substitute =) Thank you for sharing this very yummy sounding and looking recipe.

    P.s. Said it on the last Dessert Challenge go around but your EB White quote on your About page warms my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the mention of salted caramel and I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe...everytime I hear the word chocolate I'm there..lol...thanks for sharing..came over from the Rattlebridge Farm Party! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love one now. I can just imagine the gentle explosion of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree---Kailua and choco chips---just because!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the comment. Homemade worcestershire sauce isn't too difficult to made and tastes much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a yummy combination of flavors and textures! I know it wouldn't take me long to start scooping up frosting with the pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bookmarked the frosting immediately... I love caramel and this is a keeper (but no pretzels for me!). I love it when people tell stories about what they change to make things work... we are all human and I often wonder if people have made things they write about or just don't check their recipes because certain things couldn't work. ONe I remember is 5 pounds of flour for something. I thought it should have been cups but, it was just the most egregious mistake. I skipped making it. because I truly HATE tossing food.

    PS I can't figure out the new thing on Rattlebridge... does it come with the whole link thing on each blog?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am here to tell you they were so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This does sound delicious. In a cupcake sort of mood.
    Love the salty with the caramel and chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That frosting sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these look simply amazing! You did a fantastic job, what yummy flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the frosting ingredient list doesn't mention salt. How much do you add?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts