One Whole Lemon Equals A Tasty Treat!


I have an abundance of citrus this year and I am really excited about all the possibilities. With the temperatures dropping and a storm coming in, it is now harvest time so I now have to tend to a multitude of lemons and limes.  Ironically, my daughter posted a Lemon Bar recipe on Facebook that she had recently made, just as I was contemplating what I should make first.  As I considered the recipe and read her friends' exclamations of how great they were, I knew what I was going to make.

The recipe, Whole Lemon Bars, is from David Lebovitz's blog.  I didn't make any changes to the recipe even though I had never heard of processing the entire lemon!   

I must admit to nibbling every time I passed by the dish....they are delicious!  (So how long has it been since I swore off sweets?  Nope, I didn't last very long....)


Lemon Bars
David Lebovitz

Crust
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Lemon Topping
1 lemon, organic or unsprayed
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 large eggs, room temperature
4 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
Optional:  Powder sugar, for  serving

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Overturn an 8-inch square pan on the counter and wrap the outside snugly with foil, shiny side up.  Remove the foil, turn the pan over, and fit the foil into the pan,  pressing to nudge the foil  into the corners.  Smooth it as best you can.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 8 Tbsp melted butter, and vanilla,  stirring just until smooth.

Smooth the batter into the bottom of the pan, using your hands or a small offset spatula to get it as level as possible.

Bake the crust for 25 minutes, or until it's deep-golden brown.

While the crust is cooking, cut the lemon in half, remove the seeds, and cut the lemon into chunks.

Put the chunks of lemon in a food processor or blender along with the sugar and lemon juice, and let it run until the lemon is completely broken up.  Add the eggs, corn starch, 1/4 tsp salt, and 3 Tbsp melted butter and blend until almost smooth.  (A few bits of lemon pieces are normal and encouraged!)

When the crust comes  out of the oven, reduce the heat of the oven to 300° F.  Pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and bake for 25 minutes or just until the filling stops jiggling and is barely set.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool completely.  Once cool, carefully lift out the bars grasping the foil.. Cut the bars into squares or rectangles.  Sift powdered sugar over the top just before serving, if desired.

Storage:  The bars will keep in an airtight container at room temperature up to three days.  You can freeze the lemon bars as well for up to one month, letting them come to room temperature before serving.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I can't imagine one ever needing the information about storage....they didn't last 24 hours at my house!

I am participating in Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum.

Comments

  1. Different from the tried and trues I have..Great looking lemon..I'll keep this recipe.I am nuts about lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy sounds good love your photo of the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the recipe uses the whole lemon, I've never heard of that either. They look wonderful Kate, I might have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lemon pic! Lucky you to have fresh citrusM
    The lemon bars look delicious!
    The sunset pic was amazing, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's raining! I just harvested about five lemons from our tree. I was just talking about lemon bars. I am a fan of David Lebovitz, so I know which recipe I'm trying. Thanks for the inspiration. You captured a lovely shot of that lemon... congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would certainly love to have a harvest of lemons. They are amazing when picked fresh. The lemon bars look delicious and in general lemon bars are one of my most favorite sweets along with a bit of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics! The lemon bars sound amazing-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some organic lemons in my fridge staring at me, wanting to be lemon bars. I was going to use them for Brussel sprouts, but think I'll have enough for both.

    Love the first lemon pic...it will haunt me until I make those bars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy....I am the only one in the house that likes lemon desserts. Can you believe these people of
    mine? OMgoodness...I do like what I see. I would much prefer lemon over chocolate any day...
    Have a fantastic day.....
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  10. your pictures are so beautiful! I start a digital camera class on Thursday, so maybe I can improve.
    I made your sweet mustard shrimp for my book club the other night. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never be know to pass up a lemon bar. It is interesting the you use the whole lemon.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lemon bars are one of my absolute favorite things! I just love lemons - they're so useful and tasty and they smell wonderful. And who can resist that bright yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting! I've never heard of using the whole lemon but why not? Juiced and zested all all once :) Lemon bars are a weakness of mine and this recipe sounds so goo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so good. Delicate and flavourful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had my first production of Meyer lemons this year. We live in North Florida. Citrus grows but it can be iffy due to freezes....Love, love lemon bars and using a whole lemon would be wonderful.

    Cheers to your citrus trees!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum i think i'm gonna be making lime bars now.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lemon bars are my daughter's favorite treat! Lovely recipe and made so much more special by lemons from your own tree - lucky you!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had tried several recipes for lemon bars but this is an entirely new approach. I'm so curious I just have to try it. This may be trouble because I love lemon bars and don't know if I can resist eating them all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that first photo, Kate. And there's nothing tastier than a lemon bar. I've never tried David's recipe, but it looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. they look perfectly thin and soft, your first picture is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. David's recipe has to be great. I love lemon bars and used to buy them at The Fresh Market. Will have to try making my own with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts