Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

One can never have too many butternut squash recipes.  It is a vegetable that has a wonderful flavor and it isn't overwhelming when used with other ingredients.  It always pairs nicely with apples; so when I saw the Contessa's recipe for Butternut Squash and Apple Soup in Barefoot Contessa Parties,  I decided to give it a try.


Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 cups chopped onion
2 Tbsp mild curry powder
2 large butternut squash
1 1/2 lbs sweet apples (I used gala and honey crisp.)
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 cups apple cider (I used Honey Crisp Cider.)

Warm the butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat.  Add the onions and curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until the onions are tender.  Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash cut in half, and remove the seeds.  Cut the squash into chunks.  Peel, quarter, and core the apples.  Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and two cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 30-40 minutes, until squash and apples are very soft.  Process the soup through a food mill or puree it coarsely in the food processor.  (I used the blender.)

Pour the soup back into the pot.  Add the apple cider and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick.  Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


This soup is pureed coarsely.  I love biting into pieces of squash and apples!  This was an excellent soup!

Comments

  1. I have a recipe for butternut squash with apple soup and I too like some small chunks in it. It is good to know others have similar preferences. I bet this is a delicious soup. I would like to try a different version from the one, I made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Butternut squash is so tasty...I am thinking this recipe will be soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find butternut squash's size a bit intimidating. Lovely photos of the soup Kate. Honeycrisp apples are one of our seasonal favorites.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm and soulful. Love squash soups this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree - butternut squash is wonderful and you can never have too many recipes - this is wonderful - your soup looks simply delicious.
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything with apples, I love. We make a after Thanksgiving soup with turkey, onions, and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens! An Ina Garten cookbook I've never read? Can't believe it. If this soup is any example, I better look into it. I've never seen her make this soup on her show, but it looks wonderful, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried this recipe and I thought it was excellent. I love the flavor of curry with the squash and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delish, Kathy. At first I thought it would be similar to a pumpkin-apple soup I have made. But, on reading the entire recipe, I see it's quite a different taste. Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such a taste for this today, I'm so done with eating bad! Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts